Spend my money please...Spotting Scope Help

Shooter Fred

I am in the market for a spotting scope for an upcoming sheep hunt in Alaska (Brooks Range). I am looking at three different brands (4 different models) and need some direction as I don't have a lot of knowledge of spotting scopes.

I am between:

Vortex Razor 80mm 20-60
Kowa 773 Prominar with the wide angle 25-60 HD eyepiece
Swarovski ATX 65 or 85mm
Swarovski ATS 65 or 80 with either 20-60 or 20-50 wide angle

I am leaning towards the Kowa because I read an article (see attached chart) that said Cornell University objectively measured performance and this spotting scope was #2 behind the Kowa 880 (88mm version). The Swarovski ATS was #3 and #4. The Vortex and Swarovski ATX were not measured.

I am not set on any of these and I kinda like Vortex products but definitely want good spotting scope. I don't mind spending the money but want it to be noticeably better than the lower priced model (Vortex Razor).

Can someone steer me I the right direction?

Thanks for your help!

-Fred

Attachments

• ScopeChart2008.pdf
    53.3 KB · Views: 195
I would cut the vortex. The warranty is great but the glass isnt as good as the others. If you could afford the swaro atx line they are great, the 65 is a great balance of weight and spotting ability. The swaro ats is good as well. My buddy has one we use when backpackhunting in non hd. If you could get a kowa and swaro side by side that would be ideal. I have a ziess diascope 85 with the 20-75 and when I compared it to the swaro atx 85 at a shoot the biggest thing I noticed is the ziess has a sweet spot in the center of the image and the edges fell off. In the swaro the image was about the same but the whole image was the sweet spot, nice a clear all the way to the edges.

I would cut the vortex. The warranty is great but the glass isnt as good as the others. If you could afford the swaro atx line they are great, the 65 is a great balance of weight and spotting ability. The swaro ats is good as well. My buddy has one we use when backpackhunting in non hd. If you could get a kowa and swaro side by side that would be ideal. I have a ziess diascope 85 with the 20-75 and when I compared it to the swaro atx 85 at a shoot the biggest thing I noticed is the ziess has a sweet spot in the center of the image and the edges fell off. In the swaro the image was about the same but the whole image was the sweet spot, nice a clear all the way to the edges.

Thanks for the info... I am kinda thinking you're right about the Vortex. I have and most likely will not be able to get a Swarovski and a Kowa side by side by the time I leave for my trip... Hoping I can get some good advice from folks that have used both

Once again, I appreciate your help!

I would think your guide will be making the final call on if it's legal of not, so you would probably be fine with the 65 or 72 kowa and less weight in the pack. It's really what your budget allows. The atx with ability to go from 65 to 85/95 and great glass if one could afford it would be hard to turn down. And to be honest the only reason I didn't get a Swaro 65 ATM non hd and opted for the ziess 85 20-75 was the zoom. I hunt spike only areas for elk and I wanted the absolute best chance (most zoom with quality glass) to make sure that I was shooting a spike at 1000 yards. So if this wasn't something I was worried about that Swaro ATM 65 20-60 that we use for backpacking would have been all I ever needed. If money was no object I get the atx with the 65/95, the 95 for when I need that huge zoom and 65 for all else. I haven't ever looked through a kowa to give an impression on them, without being able to I say go swaro

I would think your guide will be making the final call on if it's legal of not, so you would probably be fine with the 65 or 72 kowa and less weight in the pack. It's really what your budget allows. The atx with ability to go from 65 to 85/95 and great glass if one could afford it would be hard to turn down. And to be honest the only reason I didn't get a Swaro 65 ATM non hd and opted for the ziess 85 20-75 was the zoom. I hunt spike only areas for elk and I wanted the absolute best chance (most zoom with quality glass) to make sure that I was shooting a spike at 1000 yards. So if this wasn't something I was worried about that Swaro ATM 65 20-60 that we use for backpacking would have been all I ever needed. If money was no object I get the atx with the 65/95, the 95 for when I need that huge zoom and 65 for all else. I haven't ever looked through a kowa to give an impression on them, without being able to I say go swaro

Thank you for the input...I called a few places and they all said the same thing basically...go with the ATX if you can afford it and in the 65mm...the 65mm will be nearly as good as the 85 with a lot less weight

Would you agree with the 65 vs 85 comparison?

For me the two options for the atx would be the 65 and 95. There's no zoom difference between the 65 and 85. I haven compared the 65 and 85 so I can't say for sure what the performance difference is.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.