help spend my money

405win

Gentleman, by the number of my post you can see I'm new to this forum.
I'm in need of a scope for my cooper 25-06 for coyote and medium game to say 600-800 yards.
I have a budget of 650.00 (please don't laugh) and was thinking of a Vortex viper pst in 2.5x10.
I would appreciate your thoughts or suggestions.

I own 1 300.00 vortex. It is a fine scope , shoots a perfect box. It is a few ounces
heavier than a lupy and several hundred cheaper. I like the idea of it being made in
the P.I. Lupy won't come clean on where their parts are made anymore so I just assume, right or wrong, it's china.
If you are in the flathead get ahold of Scott at Liberty Optics. He's been a vortex dealer for some time now.

Thanks gentleman for your imput. Two things worry me with the leupold; (1) will there be enough elevation in that scope. If I recall it has about 57moa of adjustment. (2) Is having to remove the turret cover a handycap if time is short?
I comfess that I'm a leupy fan, but the vortex pst seems to have everything.
Mike, do I have to send my gun down Cloud Peak Gun Works or just my data?

well with the leupold you can leave the dust covers off or get the mark 4 style. in 08 leupold redid the vx3 scopes so they have 90 moa i think but for 7 to 800 yards i think you will be fine. you would need to call trevor at cloud peak and find out for sure. i believe you can just give him your info and he will cut a turret but so will leupold. trevor will do a balistic profile though and build you a zero stop if you send the whole gun. i dont know about vortex but i dont suggest you skimp on optics. let us know what you decide.

Variable or Straight power? For the money straight power is the way to go. Super sniper makes some good scopes I hear. I have read some good things about them. Sightron III or Bushnell elite are also good I hear.

Having the scope cover over your turret isn't a big deal in my opinion. When I setup for long range I usually have time to get settled in. You aren't walking along and jump something, usually you go where you see them come out and setup for the shot and wait until it presents itself.

Brent

405, we must think alike, i have one of the 2-10 pst's on order. for 600 bucks, i doubt there's anything that can compare. the 3-9 super sniper would also be a good choice, an excellent scope. these would probably be the best scopes for 600 that you can buy.i'm not a big fan of the custom turrets, but at the ranges you want to shoot, everyone that uses them seem to love them. i like the reticle in the pst, i'm getting the moa and it has 30 available on the crosshair which will take you quite a bit farther than 800 yards. for coyotes, using the reticle instead of dialing, will probably put more dogs on the ground.

Mr DaveW, I thought very hard about the 3x9 SSniper, but in the end I thought mil dot might be too much for me. I was open to the idea of a fixed 10x SS like Blipelt mentioned,, but this gun will do double duty in NW montana and we have more than our share of timber over here.
Like you, I thought the pst moa reticle looks like it would be awesome as you could dial in or use the reticle.
My only concern is after some hard hunting, whats the chances of the exposed turrets getting bumped or turned?
The vortex pst is what I think I want, but I sure appreciate everyones input.

I like the moa reticle better than mil dot. It's a little finer which may or may not be
a good thing. For me the math is easier. I use a shooters moa reticle which is true
1 inch per hundred yards but the math can be done the same and then 5% knocked
of the true moa product and still be done in your head. With either you can use a
range chart instead of using math. The front focal plane and matched turrets and
reticles make it a nice workable package.

Thanks gentleman for your opinions. They helped clear the clouds alittle.
I went with the zeiss conquest 3.5x10 with the rapid z800 reticle simply because its about the best quality in my (extended) price range. Thanks again.

Good choice, I was going to get a zeiss until I learned the turrets turn the exact opposite as my NF's. So I bought another NF. I guess don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.