Spain hunt

Pauleye

I'm planning an ibex hunt in Spain next year. Anyone with experience as to bringing a rifle or using the outfitters equipment

We have a Spain hunt for Ibex and Mouflon sheep arranged for late Oct. 2022. If, if mind you, Europe is not in full scale war. Doubt it will be but who knows. Plan to take my own firearm as have done so to Africa and NZ. Do not have confidence in outfitters firearms. I spend so much time and $$$$ on mine and would not consider others for my hunt. There are some good posts on Accuratereloading.com in this regard. Have been researching items that need to be arranged before we travel. Plan early and get good seats on airlines. There is a company called Travelwithguns.com that can do all the arrangements for you. Good luck and have a great hunt. MTG

Just returned from an ibex hunt there yesterday. Took my rifle. I did use Travelwithguns.com for assistance on flights, and they will inform you what permits you need and what the process is, but then it's up to you to complete the process with the Spanish Consulate that has jurisdiction in your area of residence. This turns out to be important, as believe it or not, different Consulates can have slightly different requirements/forms, and they will not accept forms from the other Consulates.

I considered both bringing my rifle and using the outfitter's rifle. The permit process is about the same either way as you need an invitation letter from the outfitter (which will include the make, model and serial number of the gun you will hunt with whether yours or theirs), and with that you can start the application. Since the application is for permission to hunt with guns in Spain, it doesn't matter if yours or theirs - you will go through the same permitting process. My gun is a 6.5 PRC, the one he had available for me was a fine Merkel 6.5 Swede. My shots were at 300 yards and 80 yards on Gredos and Beceite ibex, so it would not have made much difference. I could have made much longer shots on both, but stalking in closer was very doable in both situations, so we did.

At the end of my hunt, they asked me to take a management ibex in an area they have been asked to reduce the population. That one was at 630 yards, and I was very glad I had my gun.

The hunt was one of my favorite of all time. Great outfitter, guides, food, accommodations, and game populations. The hunting culture there is strong and important, and you feel welcomed. I will definitely be going back and highly recommend the whole experience. Enjoy your trip!