Southeast New Mexico

nick197777

Hello all,
I am always looking to expand my knowledge base on firearms, so I found this site.
I shoot a sporterized 1903A3 springfield chambered in .244 Remington, which is a tack driver. I also shoot a Ruger 77 MK2 in 7mm SAUM, of which I'm still trying to tame. I have hornady match 7mm 162 grains on the way, and cant wait to build a load up for the 7mm SAUM.

Avid duck hunter, bowhunter, rifle shooter, reloader, and if it is't in the outdoors it almost never happens for me.
Nick

Hello, Nick. Where are you in SE NM? I've been assimilated by the Burque--or ABQ. Got any pigs down that way? I've been looking for a place to hunt them here in NM? I heard a few years ago that they had a big pig hunt on Brantley but you had to be in the local area to get in on it. I'm off for elk again this year in the Gila and hope to have another successful year. -- Bob

Hello Elkslayer,
Have you done any scouting in the Gila yet? Reason being I was there in May for the White water-Baldy complex fire. Some of the sheds coming out of the Mogollan area were huge, I would estimate the bulls around 380-400". Because of the fire that area is going to be really scabby with vegetation.
I am in the Ruidoso area. We do have a pig population in the Nogal canyon at the end of the road, and on top of the peak. There are other locations on the 443 trail on the east side off of 70. If you go to Lincoln National Forest - Home click on hog hunting it will give you last known location of pig populations in the Smokey Bear, and Sacramento ranger districts, however I think the site is down or they removed the content in because of the Little Bear Fire there. They update the maps every spring and fall.
Good luck on your elk hunt. I'm envious of you, because I did not draw this year. So no big game to put into thew freezer....I guess there is always pig hunting no license, no bag limit, baiting, and hard hunting.
Nick

Thanks for the info on the pigs. My daughter-in-law's parents spend half a year in Alto, the other half in Florida panhandle area. I put Ruidoso area as my second or third choice on elk but got my first choice. Good to know about the pigs. If you find any more spots, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.