Sounds Faster

Those 60,s to 70,s cars had great engines. Just crappy suspension and brakes. That's what got people in trouble with the speed. Trying to stop and turn. My 2019 Silverado RST with 5.3 at 355 HP would take on some of them as far as handling and stopping. I'm in the process of getting speed limit program off of it.
Don't count the 65 and up vettes. 4 rotor and quad piston brakes will bring you to a halt. I was going 110 and stopped in less than 100'. Of course it had wider tires and not the original size, so that probably helped. 100' stop at 110mph is 2x less than new vettes. Anti-braking systems in this new stuff is crap!

Don't count the 65 and up vettes. 4 rotor and quad piston brakes will bring you to a halt. I was going 110 and stopped in less than 100'. Of course it had wider tires and not the original size, so that probably helped. 100' stop at 110mph is 2x less than new vettes. Anti-braking systems in this new stuff is crap!
Not sure that the little vettes counted as muscle cars. But yeah, they would perform great.

In 1957 Chevy and Pontiac had mechanical fuel injection it was an option. Foreign cars have also had fuel injection I believe a little before that.
Do we credit chevy for the mfi in corvettes. My 65 didn't have it as someone put a 350 in it. I miss that car as I wrapped my *** in fiberglass when going airborne then upside down.

Not sure that the little vettes counted as muscle cars. But yeah, they would perform great.
I've heard lots of complaints about the 4-wheel independent suspension from older people with knowledge of control issues when it comes/came to drag racing. My brakes and front end instructor had lots to say about it when my project car was a '65 vette. I didn't like chevy's specs on the rear setup, so I did it my way. I did the front to my specs also and he said you can't do it that way. After finishing it we went for a test drag. We went thru the 1/4 as straight as 1 would be hopeful for and I did so without holding or adjusting the wheel. I said to him afterwards, "was that straight enough for you". Wasn't real fast, but 11.3 @ 117. Time was decent, but speed wasn't that great. Rear was set at 0 on caster, camber and toe. Chevy specs were somewhere in 1/4-1/2 I think. It's been almost 40 years since I did the work. I still have the complete rear half of the body from Eckler's.

I am never surprised anymore when a forum post pops up that shows me that we have more common ground that we think...

This is my 69 Camaro. Sometime after 1976 but before 1978.

p2875834660-4.jpg

It came with an automatic transmission and a 305. I had it painted, added the badging, hood, and spoiler on the trunk. Dropped a used 396 in it, blew that up showing my dad how good it ran :D, while we were working on a jobsite five hours from home. My brother-in-law came and picked it up on a trailer for me. The trailer came off the ball on 35. Luckily it was before he got there and the trailer just need to be flipped over and hooked up RIGHT to finish the trip. I pulled the engine and punched it .030 over, that made it a 402, found some 427 closed chamber heads, found a 12 bolt rear end with a posi unit and 4.88 gears, then trashed the automatic, put in a bunch of different 4 speeds and finally found an M22 "Rock Crusher" and a Hays Mark XII clutch that held up. Later I swapped the 4.88's to 4.11's. It was more fun on the street and not bad in the 1/4 mile.

I eventually did find one girl that liked hot rods and I married her.

The carburetor was a Holley 850 "double pumper" (it's important to get the double pumper part in there lol). I rejetted it quite a few times. When I was done all four jets were slightly different to match the runners on the intake. I changed the power valves to get better off the line performance. It had adjustable primary and secondary fuel metering. At one time, I was the guy that people brought their Holley problems too. Small town America... a long time ago. I can just about guarantee I can go to an old toolbox I have down in the barn and pull out some jets and power valves for that carburator :)

At one time I had a Vertex magneto and Moroso cable drive tach in it (that was not the best idea for a street car). My new wife came home from the grocery store and proudly exclaimed that she hit 8200 RPM on the tattletale. The Moroso tach had a resettable peak RPM feature. Even though it was a big block it was set up to do that, I just never had the cajones to stay in it that long. She was different than some of today's athletes, she didn't have cajones. She could row a four speed pretty well too.

She's an ex now. I'm not sad about that. I have 4 great kids from her (two boys and two girls) and 6, about to be 8, grandkids, 7 boys and 1 girl. I have a picture of the granddaughter running around barefoot, in the mud, with a toy AR on her back. She'll be fine.

I sold the Camaro when I became a dad. Looking back... I might've should have sold the wife? Nah... 4 great kids... 100% worth it...

One more photo of the Camaro and I'll take the exit off of memory lane... Btw, the last license plate I had on it was personalized. RAT SS :)

p2875834207-4.jpg

ok... jumped back on the feeder for a second...

I wish I had some photos of my 69 Dodge Dart. It was my first street car. 340, 4 speed, all factory except the engine had been tweaked and the paint. That was a sweet little ride. I dropped a valve one night, alcohol might have been involved, racing definitely was. I sold it as is a few months later. By then I was chasing female companionship and at the time I couldn't find one that liked hotrods. For some reason the car had to be reliable. Silliness.

Last edited:
I have an '81 dually crew cab I plan on using a 396BB putting a 454 crank in and twin turboing with FI for a hauler truck. With today's low lag turbos it'll be fun. If I don't do that in the '81, then I'll have it in a newer gas model so not to change fuel tanks from the diesel among other changes.

If only they were electric back then...but the country girls were waaay out there...
Long ways on bicycle......not worth it....lol
You must not have found the right one!I used to drive 15 miles each way on my Fuji 12 speed because my license was suspended due to many speeding tickets,but I never regretted a mile of it!

I love magneto's but I bet you didn't have a radio in it that worked with a magneto. lol.
Years ago I traded a sail board I had won ( never won anything but that ) for an 82 cutlass that my brother wanted it had a 260 olds engine we pulled it out and he put a 454 ls engine in it. It had 241 gears in the rear end, he could do 70 mph in first gear. It would get squirrley at 110 because the rear end needed a pan hard rod but he sure had fun with people at 30 to 80 mph it would pull hard at that speed anything of the line it would just blow the tires up.

I am never surprised anymore when a forum post pops up that shows me that we have more common ground that we think...

This is my 69 Camaro. Sometime after 1976 but before 1978.

p2875834660-4.jpg

It came with an automatic transmission and a 305. I had it painted, added the badging, hood, and spoiler on the trunk. Dropped a used 396 in it, blew that up showing my dad how good it ran :D, while we were working on a jobsite five hours from home. My brother-in-law came and picked it up on a trailer for me. The trailer came off the ball on 35. Luckily it was before he got there and the trailer just need to be flipped over and hooked up RIGHT to finish the trip. I pulled the engine and punched it .030 over, that made it a 402, found some 427 closed chamber heads, found a 12 bolt rear end with a posi unit and 4.88 gears, then trashed the automatic, put in a bunch of different 4 speeds and finally found an M22 "Rock Crusher" and a Hays Mark XII clutch that held up. Later I swapped the 4.88's to 4.11's. It was more fun on the street and not bad in the 1/4 mile.

I eventually did find one girl that liked hot rods and I married her.

The carburetor was a Holley 850 "double pumper" (it's important to get the double pumper part in there lol). I rejetted it quite a few times. When I was done all four jets were slightly different to match the runners on the intake. I changed the power valves to get better off the line performance. It had adjustable primary and secondary fuel metering. At one time, I was the guy that people brought their Holley problems too. Small town America... a long time ago. I can just about guarantee I can go to an old toolbox I have down in the barn and pull out some jets and power valves for that carburator :)

At one time I had a Vertex magneto and Moroso cable drive tach in it (that was not the best idea for a street car). My new wife came home from the grocery store and proudly exclaimed that she hit 8200 RPM on the tattletale. The Moroso tach had a resettable peak RPM feature. Even though it was a big block it was set up to do that, I just never had the cajones to stay in it that long. She was different than some of today's athletes, she didn't have cajones. She could row a four speed pretty well too.

She's an ex now. I'm not sad about that. I have 4 great kids from her (two boys and two girls) and 6, about to be 8, grandkids, 7 boys and 1 girl. I have a picture of the granddaughter running around barefoot, in the mud, with a toy AR on her back. She'll be fine.

I sold the Camaro when I became a dad. Looking back... I might've should have sold the wife? Nah... 4 great kids... 100% worth it...

One more photo of the Camaro and I'll take the exit off of memory lane... Btw, the last license plate I had on it was personalized. RAT SS :)

p2875834207-4.jpg

ok... jumped back on the feeder for a second...

I wish I had some photos of my 69 Dodge Dart. It was my first street car. 340, 4 speed, all factory except the engine had been tweaked and the paint. That was a sweet little ride. I dropped a valve one night, alcohol might have been involved, racing definitely was. I sold it as is a few months later. By then I was chasing female companionship and at the time I couldn't find one that liked hotrods. For some reason the car had to be reliable. Silliness.

I had friend that put 409 into a 59 Chev Impal. The engine was balances. He had a T10 4 speed in it. This guy could shift like nobody else. He did brake the T10, So we changed it over to Munsey M21. Never did brake that trans. He was also running a Non-*** rearend. I changed out about 6 rear ends. A couple of times we would go up where we ran the 1/4 mile. I could heard the spiders rip as he hit another gear. Switch over to a ***-Track. Never lost a rearend again. He never back off the gas and catch another gear. His timing was prefect. He never seen his missed a gear either. I purchase the trans from him a couple years later. I had it taken down to go through the trans. The rebuilter couldn't believe it was powder shifted. It look prefect inside.
My brother got a 1970 R/T Charger with 426 Hemi in it. That was quick too. Out ran a couple of cops with it. No problem get to 150 with it. He still has it in the garage now. Those were the DAYS!

The one and ONLY car I wish was still in my garage was 1964 Sport Fury convertible 361 Commando. Completely unbadged sleeper from factory. Seafoam green exterior with matching interior. Remember those old Torgueflight transmissions? Couple minor changes and they shifted pretty nice! It wasn't a street racer but sure was a fun car! Convertibles were chick magnets!😉 8 track, 8 speakers and cruising were nights to remember! Drive ins with top down on warm summer night. Dammmmm! Those were days etched in forever.

BTW, saw this and laughed, cause I got really good at fixing this simple mistake. Bet none of you ever did this! 😉😱😂

IMG_9550.jpeg