some new alaska blood to this forum

airbrna0723

iam interested in learning new ideas and skill sets from other shooters and hunters in this forum and maybe teaching a few myself iam from alaska i guide and hunt up here i have lived up here for 27 years all my life except a few years of military service i see alot of people that are getting into hunting and asking about the type of caliber they should use on specific types of game i have hunted and harvested large brown bears down to fox and i have had clients take large bears with 139 gr ab from a .270 one and done accuracy is the first key then a quality bullet that has good penetration and can expand and deliver the energy is the next i know that alot of people that hunt alot have found this to be true i have seen a 162 amax drop a large bull moose in its tracks the bullet wasnt designed for it but the shot was right on the money and did the trick alot of people like to use cannons for hunting i prefer the most accurate rifle possible that has enough energy to finish the task at hand let me know what you feel and if you agree or dont gun)

Welcome,

New Alaska blood eh?

27 as well, and after this cod season starting to feel like an old alaskan.

Don't know very many guides up here, Mostly just a couple old timers. Seems like almost all of them err on the side of an old 375 up close with a 300 a frame or partition for anything larger than deer.

It will be interesting to have a guides perspective on Long Range'n especially in AK, as most seem to prefer to get as close as possible to limit human error.

Out of curiousity; what do you shoot personally? And do you have some good spots to stretch the shots to past 500?

yeah i have my 7mm rem mag to stretch it out and my 300 weatherby mag and i do have a 338 win mag and a 375 h and h but two years ago a client was running out of time on his hunt took a 378 yard shot on a brownie and hit it far back i had my 300 weatherby with 200 grain accubonds hit it at 420 yards quartering away he turned into it and started rolling and that was it but thats a very out of ordinary long shot grizz in the mountains and caribou and sheep you can find some space to stretch out to about 700 yards or so but bears down in the alders average shot is about 100 yards or closer

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.