So what are you guys running on your lightweight rifles?

In that mag range, Kahles has a 3-12X50 that would work great. Mil based reticles with the MSR-K or AMR, tactical style turrets 0.1 mil clicks, parallax down to 25 meters, and weighs 29.5 ounces and 14.8 inches long. So a bigger tactical type scope but the weight isn't bad at all. I use mine on my 22LR trainer rifle, awesome scope for it. I had it on my 308 but needed a better scope for the 22 and that's where it ended up.

Attachments

• K312i.jpg
    K312i.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 40
I went through this recently and chose the Leupold vx3iwith CDS and I have been very impressed to say the least.I haven't owned a Leupold in a lot of years,but I'm back,I have swaro z5's here and I would never pay double for one again.Go for the wind plex reticle.

Went through the same thing recently, however wanted MOA, not MIL turrets and reticle. Went with the new Vortex Razor LH 3-15x42 @ 16 ounces. Love the scope. Perfect for the dialing, or using the MOA reticle (Hate BDC reticles). I prefer to the Swaro Z5 3-18. I really wanted to like my Z5, but never felt the glass lived up to the name, and the turrets were a big con in my book. Glass is subjective, but I'll take the Razor LH over the Z5 and VX6 every time. VX6 would be my next choice in a lighter hunting scope. Glad you found one that suits you.

Went through the same thing recently, however wanted MOA, not MIL turrets and reticle. Went with the new Vortex Razor LH 3-15x42 @ 16 ounces. Love the scope. Perfect for the dialing, or using the MOA reticle (Hate BDC reticles). I prefer to the Swaro Z5 3-18. I really wanted to like my Z5, but never felt the glass lived up to the name, and the turrets were a big con in my book. Glass is subjective, but I'll take the Razor LH over the Z5 and VX6 every time. VX6 would be my next choice in a lighter hunting scope. Glad you found one that suits you.

I agree that the factory turrets on the Swaro Z5 BRH reticle are non-functional for a long range hunter that twists the elevation turret to dial in the dope. It cost an extra $125 to correct that deficiency with aftermarket turrets.

Glass quality must indeed be subjective, because after purchasing a new Vortex Razor LH 3-5x42mm and comparing it to my Swaro Z5 last month, I found I preferred the Swaro Z5 over the Vortex. Enough so that I purchased a 2nd Swaro Z5 3-18.

I definitely looked at that Vortex scope. A couple of my shooting buddies also mentioned it. It would be fairly impossible to move me away from Mils at this point as most of my rifles do have Mil turrets and reticle.

Also with that scope, don't you lose the ability to dial elevation? It looks like those are capped turrets?

Thanks. :)

I went through this recently and chose the Leupold vx3iwith CDS and I have been very impressed to say the least.I haven't owned a Leupold in a lot of years,but I'm back,I have swaro z5's here and I would never pay double for one again.Go for the wind plex reticle.

Have you ever looked at the sheer quantity of reticles that Leupold offers? Hole Lee Shaiit man... I can only compare it to the quantity of shoes my wife has.

I do think I'm going to be happy with this Leupold scope. It definitely is light. I originally thought it was 12.4oz's as listed on the Leupold website. However I think that is for the illuminated version which I did not get. I think the one I got is only like 11.X something ounces.

Check out the Weaver Grand Slam tactical 3-10x40 from Midway.
I have one and it's a very nice scope for the price.
Tracking is spot on with Weavers Micro trac system.
Made in a Japenese factory that makes some of the best scopes in the business..

Sightron SIII are between 22 to 26 oz.
I have 4 of them. I have had Valdada and nightforce and can not beat the quality price and weight of the Sightron SIII. I have the SFP 6-24x50 and FFP 6-24x50. Both have some of the leading industry tracking. Doing the tall target test as Brian Litz has explained the sightron had less than 1% error, my nightforce had 3% error and Valdada had 3% error.

I agree that the factory turrets on the Swaro Z5 BRH reticle are non-functional for a long range hunter that twists the elevation turret to dial in the dope. It cost an extra $125 to correct that deficiency with aftermarket turrets.

Glass quality must indeed be subjective, because after purchasing a new Vortex Razor LH 3-5x42mm and comparing it to my Swaro Z5 last month, I found I preferred the Swaro Z5 over the Vortex. Enough so that I purchased a 2nd Swaro Z5 3-18.

so is the vortex for sale :Dgun)

I had the VX-3 12 oz but 2 of them wouldn't track/return to zero so now I have VX-6's or a March on the lighter weight rigs. I have also been shut down by the smaller objectives at dusk and will add the couple ounces of weight for the larger glass. It's a trade off with weight and performance, and I think price too. I have for the most part gotten rid of all of my "lower end" scopes, I think around the $800 mark. They end up sold or on a .22, it's kind of like messing with powder scales, get a good one and be done with it.

Have you ever looked at the sheer quantity of reticles that Leupold offers? Hole Lee Shaiit man... I can only compare it to the quantity of shoes my wife has.

I do think I'm going to be happy with this Leupold scope. It definitely is light. I originally thought it was 12.4oz's as listed on the Leupold website. However I think that is for the illuminated version which I did not get. I think the one I got is only like 11.X something ounces.

have the vx-6 2-12 on my lightweight rifle 16 Oz nice

Vx-6 3-18 only weighs 19 Oz

The Leupold FX3 6x42 can be gotten with the m1 elevation turret and windplex reticle and is extremely light weight. Ask me how I know

Raven23TST,

I used a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 BT I ran it out to 600. During the two years I had it it went back for erector repair twice. The second time it came back I sold it to a guy who knew it was repaired but still wanted it. I gave him a great price so he wouldn't be too bad off if he had to pay the next time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.