So what are you guys running on your lightweight rifles?

engineer40

I've got so used to all the features on my scopes I use for longer range stuff, I just can't bring myself to buy a normal "hunting" scope...

Most of the features I want are usually only offered in heavier scopes. Seems like 24oz and up is the norm.

I recently acquired a nice little 7mm-08 rifle that only weighs 5.x something lbs. But it still has a 1:9 twist barrel and I should be able to launch some heavy, high BC bullets from it. I don't want to weigh this neat little rifle package down with a huge scope. However I still want:
- Exposed Mil turrets that are designed to be dialed for shots.
- A Mil hash reticle of some kind. I don't care for the Mil dots as much but I would take them.
- Parallax adjustment would be nice.

I'm looking for the 3-9 power range. Or 2-7, you get the idea. :) I've shot some lengthy distances with a fixed 10 power, so I think maxing out at 7 or 9 power would be fine.

My wife and kids are all sick this weekend and I've literally spent the last 5 hours online researching this. I didn't mean too, but I got sucked in and then a bit frustrated at what I could find.

I think the best option I found so far is the SWFA 3-9 coming in at 19oz's? Leupold has many lightweight scopes, but none of them appear to be what I'm looking for?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

And while we're on the subject, any lightweight rings you guys could suggest?

March 1-8, 1-10, 2.5-25, 3-24
Tangent theta 3-15 comes close I believe
S&B 1.5-8

On and on

If you're cheap, that's your problem, don't bring "I was only looking to spend <$300" into reality.

Swarovski Z5, 3.5 to 18 x 44

Weighs 16 oz.

Really exited to use it this season.

Vortex lists the 2.5-10x44 at 18.8 oz

the VX-6 2-12x42 comes in at 16.8ox
and the 3-18x44 is 19.2oz

Vortex lists the 2.5-10x44 at 18.8 oz

the VX-6 2-12x42 comes in at 16.8ox
and the 3-18x44 is 19.2oz
I was going with what Midway list it at, I should have checked Vortex's site.
I'm guessing they are including the sunshade and Midway is not.

If you can't afford a March 1-8x24 (FFP) or 1-10x24 (SFP) then you may want to consider a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 (FFP). If you opt for a few more ounces, go with a Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44 (FFP). It's not March glass but it's much better than the Vortex PST.

Swarovski Z5, 3.5 to 18 x 44

Weighs 16 oz.

Really exited to use it this season.

Been using one of these with the BRH reticle the past two hunting seasons. Just acquired a second one, which is to say I'm very happy with mine.

The primary deficiency of this scope straight from the factory are the unmarked turrets. Swaro never designed the turrets for turret twisters.

One of the LRH Forum members has developed an aftermarket turret that resolves this problem. With the aftermarket turrets, these become a very functional, high quality, lightweight scope for long range hunters that twist their elevation turrets.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I can honestly say that I spent a good amount of time researching each one of them specifically.

I went with a Leupold for this rifle. No one else got close to the 12.4oz's of the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/mark-ar-riflescopes/mark-ar-mod-1-3-9x40mm/

It doesn't have a parallax adjustment unfortunately.

So the turrets are marked with Mils like I wanted. But they are also marked with 223 bullet drop numbers, which won't affect me. I'll just ignore the BDC numbers on the turret. If it ends up bothering me, for $60 Leupold will send me a turret cap with just the Mils etched on it.

And while on the topic of the turrets, one feature I'm not sure if I will dislike yet is that these turrets won't keep track of the revolutions like the target turrets I'm used to. The downside obviously is that I'll have to keep track of that mentally. Trying to think of it in a positive way though, they are a much smaller profile than I'm used to and that will be nice on this petite lightweight rifle.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions! I have looked at some brands that I didn't really consider before. Now I'm also thinking of changing some of my other rifle scopes around. You know how that goes! :)

I've got so used to all the features on my scopes I use for longer range stuff, I just can't bring myself to buy a normal "hunting" scope...

Most of the features I want are usually only offered in heavier scopes. Seems like 24oz and up is the norm.

I recently acquired a nice little 7mm-08 rifle that only weighs 5.x something lbs. But it still has a 1:9 twist barrel and I should be able to launch some heavy, high BC bullets from it. I don't want to weigh this neat little rifle package down with a huge scope. However I still want:
- A Mil hash reticle of some kind. I don't care for the Mil dots as much but I would take them.

I'm looking for the 3-9 power range. Or 2-7, you get the idea. :) I've shot some lengthy distances with a fixed 10 power, so I think maxing out at 7 or 9 power would be fine.

My wife and kids are all sick this weekend and I've literally spent the last 5 hours online researching this. I didn't mean too, but I got sucked in and then a bit frustrated at what I could find.

I think the best option I found so far is the SWFA 3-9 coming in at 19oz's? Leupold has many lightweight scopes, but none of them appear to be what I'm looking for?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

SWFA 3-9x42 is your huckleberry.

John

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I can honestly say that I spent a good amount of time researching each one of them specifically.

I went with a Leupold for this rifle. No one else got close to the 12.4oz's of the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/mark-ar-riflescopes/mark-ar-mod-1-3-9x40mm/

It doesn't have a parallax adjustment unfortunately.

So the turrets are marked with Mils like I wanted. But they are also marked with 223 bullet drop numbers, which won't affect me. I'll just ignore the BDC numbers on the turret. If it ends up bothering me, for $60 Leupold will send me a turret cap with just the Mils etched on it.

And while on the topic of the turrets, one feature I'm not sure if I will dislike yet is that these turrets won't keep track of the revolutions like the target turrets I'm used to. The downside obviously is that I'll have to keep track of that mentally. Trying to think of it in a positive way though, they are a much smaller profile than I'm used to and that will be nice on this petite lightweight rifle.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions! I have looked at some brands that I didn't really consider before. Now I'm also thinking of changing some of my other rifle scopes around. You know how that goes! :)

I'm looking at that same scope myself, please post up whether you are happy with it or not once you have a chance to shoot it. Thanks!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi engineer40,

Scopes are like guns: what's perfect for one is all wrong for another. My primary advice is to buy the best quality you can afford. When on an expensive hunt, when you have a shot at a trophy of a lifetime, nothing can go wrong.

More advice is to go to a gun shop and look through as many scopes as possible until you find the one that's right for you.

I have all Leupold scopes except for a 40+ year-old Redfield 2x7 that used to be atop my 40+ year-old Model 700 .270 Win. I've killed I have no clue of how many deer and a couple antelope with it.

German quality can't be beaten. But does anyone need a 3k scope? We might look through our scopes for a cumulative 5 minutes a day. We'll glass for hours. I have a pair of 10x42 Zeiss binos that are 20 years old. They were expensive, but worth every cent.

I hope you find the best scope for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts