Smart *** gunshop clerk

I have never used one but checked in with a couple of manufacturers. TBAC sent me this:

Here is a video where we meter test the Ultra series for reference:

when I stopped by the gunshop today there was a smart edit little guy behind the counter who thought he knew everything and I was an idiot. I asked a few simple questions and he told me that unless I was shooting sub sonic ammunition a supressor wouldnt help

I know what you mean. . .

Most gun store clerks I get along with fine, probably vast majority because we start off having some interest in common, and I'm usually there to buy something. But every once in a while you get an odd one.
I was looking at an S &W Mountain Gun .44 revolver, gently used, seemingly, in a shop. I looked for top strap wear, and I dry fired it a few times to get a sense of the trigger pull, double action and single action mode.

The clerk who was showing it then scolded me "not to dry fire the revolver." I dry fire any center fire gun I ask to see, and I don't ask to see unless I'm about 95% sure I intend to purchase.

My late Dad had many, many revolvers. His last gig was as a concealed carry instructor. When I purchased my first revolver, he told me go dry fire it a few hundred times, to help break the action in.

With a rimfire, of course you don't want to dry fire.

Anyway, instead of walking out, I just told him not unkindly, but so that I hoped he'd get the point, "I'm going to buy it, go ahead and run the paperwork and background check." Then, after he ran my form and accepted payment, I dry fired it a few more times, just to make sure it hadn't seized up or gotten out of time :) Incidentally, while I liked that shop in general, bought two firearms and scads of ammo, and used their associated range, I was not the only one who remarked they had occasional lapses of customer relations in their clerks.
They went out of business, eventually.

As to suppressors, I don't have one, nor any threaded bbls to accept one.
What I do have is a little recurrent tinnitis. So anything to avoid it is all good.
I often wear inner ear plugs, with a set of Howard Leights over them.

I would expect the posters are correct who say unprotected ears with a high velocity center fire rifle still not a good idea.

Freedom Arms revolvers of certain mfr years can break the pin with dry fire. They know it and can remedy the situation.

Can't wait to get mine, I bought a Silencerco Omega 300 this last August. They told me 90 days or so on wait time I really didn't expect it then figured more like August of 2023. Anyway looking forward to screwing it on my .308's and 300wsm. Already planning my next one "Sparrow" if I can find one.

Can't wait to get mine, I bought a Silencerco Omega 300 this last August. They told me 90 days or so on wait time I really didn't expect it then figured more like August of 2023. Anyway looking forward to screwing it on my .308's and 300wsm. Already planning my next one "Sparrow" if I can find one.
I think you're going to love it. I use the Omega 300 on a bunch of rifles from 300wsm to .204 Ruger. It's great that it's modular and you can swap the mount out for different thread sizes and even the front cap. I like a .223 sized front flat cap on my Omega for .20 Practical, .204 Ruger, .223 etc. I use the .308 sized hole front flat cap for 30 caliber, .277, 6.5 etc.

I have no use for the "Anchor brake".

Also have the Sparrow and it's awesome for rimfire.

I bought a Surfire SOCOM 264 last March and am still waiting. I figure it'll be around Feb/March until I get it. The Efile has not sped the process up at all. The last one I got in 8 months and was the prior paper application method.

I've never owned a can so I have zero experience with them. Do you have to reduce the load because of back pressure? If so, approximately how many grains average on a .308 capacity case?

I've never owned a can so I have zero experience with them. Do you have to reduce the load because of back pressure? If so, approximately how many grains average on a .308 capacity case?
Every rifle is different. If you're running a load at the top of the pressure curve it's quite possible if you now screw a Can on you may have signs of pressure and some you may not. Once you own a Can, and rifle or rifles you will use it on, you would more than likely develop your load to shoot with the Can on. If I intend to shoot a rig suppressed then the load is developed with it on.

I have read that if you put a suppressor on an direct impingement (traditional non-piston design) AR, it is better to have a full length or mid-length gas system, as opposed to carbine, for reliability purposes.

So here is what I have I have heavy barrel 22-250 (Rem) a heavy barrel 220 Swift (Pac-Nor) a heavy barrel 243 (McGowan) and a factory Rem 700 7mm-08 and a factory Win 70 in 25-06 can I get one supressor and use it on whichever rifle I want to use that day.

So here is what I have I have heavy barrel 22-250 (Rem) a heavy barrel 220 Swift (Pac-Nor) a heavy barrel 243 (McGowan) and a factory Rem 700 7mm-08 and a factory Win 70 in 25-06 can I get one supressor and use it on whichever rifle I want to use that day.
Yes. Get a good .308 cal suppressor and you can run it on all below. I have all 300 WM or ultra mag rated suppressors and run them on everything from .223-300 WM. Most are 5/8x24 but if you want to run others you can get an adapter to 1/2x28 or some companies have replaceable threaded end caps.

But for how long/ how many shots? Is that listed in the charts-- at what point ( how many shots at 140 dB go over your limit?
And it's not necessarily 85 dB for 8 hours straight-- if you have noise level higher peaks it will lower your time limit-- its a time weighted average
I think we're looking at two different points. I'm not arguing that you don't need hearing protection, I'm stating that if you're going to bring OSHA regulations into it, I'm going to tell you you're comparing apples to oranges.