Smart *** gunshop clerk

SkipB

Guys I have been thinking about getting a supressor for a while now but when I stopped by the gunshop today there was a smart edit little guy behind the counter who thought he knew everything and I was an idiot. I asked a few simple questions and he told me that unless I was shooting sub sonic ammunition a supressor wouldnt help. I explained that at sea level that was around 1,000 fps and useless. He then goes on a rant about sub sonic ammunition and thats when I told him I had a 22-250 a 220 Swift a 243 that I wanted to supress and none of them would shoot that slow. He kept pushing this Atomik ammunition and he didnt even notice that I had a can of IMR 4895 in my hand and he would have noticed that I reloaded my own stuff. He had no idea what a Swift even was and when I told him it would shoot 4000 fps he all but called me a liar and laughed so I just walked out. He kept trying to push a supressor made by Texas supressors as being the gold standard of supressors. Anyway all 3 of my varmint guns have heavy barrels so they will thread easily. My question is how much noise reduction can I expect from a supressor if I am shooting coyotes down here and want to be quiet about it will one really help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very broad question, each suppressor mfg. will very some what, in my opinion, your better off calling a handful of mfg's to seeing what there testing data looks like.
I would suggest you take a look at AB Suppressors

I'm a month into my first suppressor. On supersonic stuff the benefit is you will reduce the need for hearing protection but not eliminate it. For example my son shoots a short barreled 6.5 Grendel, it is hellish loud. Requires plugs and muffs. With a suppressor, cheap plugs are plenty sufficient.

You will never make a supersonic load hearing safe with a suppressor. But particularly with larger rounds, short barrels, or things with brakes, it eliminates concussion.

I had the similar happen at a North 40 location last summer. The kid maybe half my age was telling me only copper bullets should be used and only death wish people would use lead bullets. I asked him what he thought of cup and core bullets with solid copper jacket and again it was the only type of bullet hunters should use. He then starts berating and telling me I did not know anything about what I was saying. I put my big boy panties on and told him to call the manager back and he did. We all had a civil discussion (now the boss man was present) of facts and knowledge. Now he always seems to have things to do in the back when I say hello.

I'm a month into my first suppressor. On supersonic stuff the benefit is you will reduce the need for hearing protection but not eliminate it. For example my son shoots a short barreled 6.5 Grendel, it is hellish loud. Requires plugs and muffs. With a suppressor, cheap plugs are plenty sufficient.

You will never make a supersonic load hearing safe with a suppressor. But particularly with larger rounds, short barrels, or things with brakes, it eliminates concussion.
Pardon my ignorance but if you still need hearing protection then a suppressor isn't really worth the cost or horse$&it to obtain for supersonic loads?

I am in the same mind set at Coldfinger, not much difference in a suppressor and a good muzzle brake except a good set of range muffs. And if I am at a crowded range, there is always a big over bore wailing on a mega brake, so I need the ears either way.

There is absolutely zero difference when talking animals, they hear the firing pin on a bolt gun or the bolt drop on a semi, so no difference there. I will say that "sometimes" a bunch of hogs will hesitate when shooting suppressed with thermal scope at night as they can't immediately tell the direction of the first/second shot. After that.....they gone.

And yes, I have shot many rifles both suppressed and otherwise. Big muzzle brakes on 7 STW or 300 Wthby/RUM will clear the table of all ammo, binos, etc. Found little difference in the accuracy or velocity, so no difference there. The POI will/can likely be different, but generally not the overall accuracy. But loads developed with/without a suppressor will shoot differently. I am talking the inherent accuracy of a rifle.

Gotta disagree here. It depends on the suppressor and the type of rifle it's being shot on.

My 10.5 inch 5.56 will likely never be "hearing safe" even with a suppressor. The snap is still too loud.

My 23 inch 308 with a 9 inch AAC can is absolutely hearing safe.

Lots of factors to consider but if you have doubt might as well wear it. You can't reverse hearing damage. Ask me how I know...

The main reason I was gonna one was for coyote hunting here in Georgia, from the sounds of it I can save my money I dont go to a shooting range I have my own here on the farm

I am in the same mind set at Coldfinger, not much difference in a suppressor and a good muzzle brake except a good set of range muffs. And if I am at a crowded range, there is always a big over bore wailing on a mega brake, so I need the ears either way.

There is absolutely zero difference when talking animals, they hear the firing pin on a bolt gun or the bolt drop on a semi, so no difference there. I will say that "sometimes" a bunch of hogs will hesitate when shooting suppressed with thermal scope at night as they can't immediately tell the direction of the first/second shot. After that.....they gone.

And yes, I have shot many rifles both suppressed and otherwise. Big muzzle brakes on 7 STW or 300 Wthby/RUM will clear the table of all ammo, binos, etc. Found little difference in the accuracy or velocity, so no difference there. The POI will/can likely be different, but generally not the overall accuracy. But loads developed with/without a suppressor will shoot differently. I am talking the inherent accuracy of a rifle.
Shoot an elk that's in a herd of elk with a suppressed rifle, and then with an unsuppressed rifle, and tell me there's not a difference in their reaction.

Pardon my ignorance but if you still need hearing protection then a suppressor isn't really worth the cost or horse$&it to obtain for supersonic loads?
Yea, but think about when you need ear pro and did't wear it hunting?

That said, I still don't really get them. I buy in to muzzle brakes because I can feel them work.