Sighting shot

dadof3bartas

hey all,

just a question. does anybody here fire a sighting shot first, or what do you think of doing that. (say 1-200m to the left or right of the target at the same distance.)

dad

sorry,
i guess i may not have been clear. before shooting the deer(etc..) at long range does anybody fire a test shot to ensure the bullet will go where you want(read windage is correct) or is it first shot every time?
dad

what i mean is picking a target that is the same distance as the animal adjusting for wind and shooting a round to confirm its on. after confirmation you lay on the animal and let 'er fly.

Nope. I have never shot at an animal that wasn't in my comfort range, or my "Thank you Lord for the animal I'm about to kill!" range. But then again I have never kill an animal past the 700 mark either, that is something that will get rectified on a hog hunt I will be doing when I get home. If the animal was soo far away that I didn't think it would spook then why not. But then again my practice range isn't that long.

DAD
Huge debates about this several years back!
Lots of "old timers" use this approach, DC swore by it!
Others believe no need! read the condition take the shot!

Equipment has came a long ways for checking conditions, range and even wind reading, but you know conditions change and some times fast!
It don't work well in snow, and chasing shots is plain guessing to some point,
But it would be better to walk the load into a rock than an animal! Do what you feel is best!

CAM

Last edited:
As spooky as the elk are in idaho, in woof territory and hunting pressure, we found that one shot is all you're going to get out to at least 1400 yds. You best not waste it.......

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.