sig sauer kilo 2000 rangefinder

xTheShootistx,

I think your assertion that everyone who is singing the praise of this new LRF is a fan-boy is a bit silly, though I do understand your frustration. I am guessing that 99% of people discussing the Kilo are not intending to use it like you. Just give a bit of charity to those people who have discovered a product they like. Your post simply turned into the "official" thread where all sorts are discussing the Kilo. As for optical quality - I compared the Leica 1600-B to the Sig Kilo 2000 side by side inside a Cabela's. I own neither and I am still looking for a good deal on both of them. Like you, I also do value optical quality. My biggest objective when I went into the store to compare the two was to examine optical quality. This is what I observed (I do know how to use adjustments such as focus by the way):
- The were instances where it seemed that one was superior to the other. I was looking at price tags and reading text that pushed my ability to read. I couldn't establish a clear winner.
- One "category" in which the Leica shined over the Sig was in low light. When I looked into the dark fish cave area, the Leica was noticeably brighter and I was able to make out a lot more detail compared to the Sig.
I would love to own both units and run a much more rigorous range of tests, that isn't in the cards right now. Happy hunting!

Paul in Idaho

xTheShootistx,

I too am not a loyalist for any brand name equipment except for APS rifles for which I am a dedicated loyalist.

I too use the rangefinder for spotting, within limits. I have no appreciation for image quality. If its good enough to "see" I'm satisfied. Focus is important but color quality and fade at the edges I don't even see.

I jumped all over the Kilo (I purchased the first ones available and was one of the earlier posters on this thread) when I found it is equal to the Leica in every respect, to my eyes, as far as the Leica will range but will range much further. Ranging the distance is what is important to me. I shoot and even hunt at ELR. If I can range a coyote or wolf @ what ever distance I'll take the shot. I'm quite a bit more sensible for big game shots.

The Leica is super in optical quality and beam divergence. It may be "aimed" very precisely. The Kilo may be ranged just a precisely thought completely differently. The Kilo's rapid scan feature must be used. Where the Leica is "aimed" much like aiming a rifle, the Kilo is kind of waved around crisscrossing the target.

For distances that the Leica will range it can't be beat.

To range ELR and the softer price the Kilo can is a great choice. However, there are better choices but the costs are much higher. If money weren't a consideration I would have something different than the Kilo.

Hope this helps.

Well, I for one, think that this thread has been very informative which is why I am following it. It actually is simple----go and look at the comparative rangefinders and buy what you like. Sig had filled a niche and has done so nicely and they are continuing to listen to consumers----it has an incredible price point for what you get.
I have had or have some of all the listed brands----some are better than others and one will always have a preference for one or another. Never thought that this was a Sig advertisement..................
Keep the reviews coming!

Randy

P.S. I do not currently have a 2000 but I will:D

Re: Optical quality, glass, sharpness

The Kilo is the only piece of Sig equipment I own. The bottom line is I buy the best I can afford regardless of who made it. I am a huge vortex fan but passed the 1500 Ranger up without pause because the Kilo is a better value for me. I wish I could afford a Leica. If I could have then I would have purchased two Kilos and given one to my son for his graduation present.

Re: Optical quality, glass, sharpness

I joined this forum to ask one simple question that seems to be being danced around by , you guessed it, brand loyalists.

Nearly the entire thread looks like an advertisement for Sig.

The question has been asked several times, and not one person, answered it.
Danced all around it, moved on to the next subject, and then it was "Oh it will range at 3000 yards and it's better than Leica"

That doesn't make it better than Leica.
What about the optical properties? Can anyone answer this? Or is that asking too much?

You see ,
I , and others, tend to use the rangefinder as a spotting tool as well. So optical clarity, fidelity, contrast, and overall image quality SHOULD be something to consider.

Who here has compared the optical qualities to that of a Leupold, Leica, or dare I say Zeiss?

I can tell you that the image quality of the three above mentioned rangefinders is top notch, tier one . Sharp as a razor.

I hunt with a .30 caliber airgun firing a 44.75 grain projectile and often go out to 150 yards on live targets. So basically, people like me could care less if a rangefinder can range a sky scraper at 2000 yards. I can't eat a sky scraper, or grandpa Joes barn that I ranged at 1700 yards.

The Leica and the Leupold will both range a rabbits head at 150 yards and give you jaw dropping image quality. 3 days ago a ranged a 5 foot alligators head , in water at 122.7 yards with a Leupold rx1200i. I know lots of you guys go out much further on much larger targets. But in my opinion, in my first post here, Image quality, sharpness , optical quality, matters.

So who here has compared the latest greatest rangefinders image quality to some of the known good glass??

I think you have your long range view of what long range shooters really do. I personally don't know any one that shoots long range that uses there range finder for a spotting scope. The only range finder combo that I can think of that would be used as a spotting devise is the bino' from Leica. When looking at animals over 1000 yards you are going to need something more than a range finder to really judge a quality animal in my opinion. I would kind of believe in almost every long range shooters bag is some type of a spotting device that be a spotting scope are a god pair of bino's. The range finder is just a tool for determine your range. For as brands the kilo has a lot to offer for the price. For as optical quality I would say that goes to the Leica. Just knowing a little bit about the other imaging products that they make from the industry I work in Leica does not do anything cheep and that's probably why the 1600-b cost like it does along with other reasons as well. Now I'm not saying the kilo is cheep. But it does cost less. Only thing for me is I have seen some of the video's with both and it seem you should be able to get past the 1300 yards as one of the posters stated. Batteries will always come into play on any range finder. My current on when it gets down to one bar left the ranging ability drops off by about 100 yards which some what sucks but that's when I know it need some juice. Anyways just my 2 cents. I also still undecided one the 2 even the price difference.

xTheShootistx,

I think your assertion that everyone who is singing the praise of this new LRF is a fan-boy is a bit silly, though I do understand your frustration. I am guessing that 99% of people discussing the Kilo are not intending to use it like you. Just give a bit of charity to those people who have discovered a product they like. Your post simply turned into the "official" thread where all sorts are discussing the Kilo. As for optical quality - I compared the Leica 1600-B to the Sig Kilo 2000 side by side inside a Cabela's. I own neither and I am still looking for a good deal on both of them. Like you, I also do value optical quality. My biggest objective when I went into the store to compare the two was to examine optical quality. This is what I observed (I do know how to use adjustments such as focus by the way):
- The were instances where it seemed that one was superior to the other. I was looking at price tags and reading text that pushed my ability to read. I couldn't establish a clear winner.
- One "category" in which the Leica shined over the Sig was in low light. When I looked into the dark fish cave area, the Leica was noticeably brighter and I was able to make out a lot more detail compared to the Sig.
I would love to own both units and run a much more rigorous range of tests, that isn't in the cards right now. Happy hunting!

Paul in Idaho

First rule of comparing optical quality , is to take it outside. Under indoor lighting, if the optical quality of the units being compared is close, they will all look the same.

Therefore I took someones advice and went to cabelas this morning. I spent 3 hours comparing 5 rangefinders.

Due to this thread, Sig was at the top of the list. This is what I discovered.

1. SIG - Handy unit. Small, compact, light 25mm objective 7x. Felt like quality. Ranged an outback steak house at 1723 yards. Then used the scan feature on closer in targets anywhere from 100 to 300 yards. The unit is fast. Much faster than 3 of the other offerings. Even tho this is not what I was looking for, I noticed that the unit ranges far, and quickly. Optical quality was better than expected. However, paled in comparison to 3 of the other brands. Optical quality was head and heels above Nikons aculon, Nikon prostaff, and a bushnell Truth. One of the things I did not care for with the Sig is the reticle. I wish one of the rangefinder manufacturers would recognize this and give the option of a red dot with adjustable intensities. Oh and, when focused at longer ranges, the Sigs reticle became slightly blurry and OOF(out of focus. At the end of the comparison I went back to the Sig. The Sig seems to be top dog in the ELR department. Got a range on a water tower behind and to the side of the steak house at 2013 yards. Fluke or real, I do not know, but it certainly did return this reading.

2. Leica-1600B 7x with 24mm objective - Very nice unit. Optical quality is what you'd expect from Leica. Sharp, clear, great contrast, high end optics. But it was slow compared to the Sig Kilo. Noticeably much slower in scan mode. It ranged the outback steak house at 1722, which I did not expect it to do. It's only supposed to range to 1600 yards. It ranges further. I was surprised by this.

3. Zeiss Victory PRF 8x with 26 mm objective- By far the largest of all units compared. This unit gave no reading on the outback steak house. BUT, optically, it was the crowned Jewell of the bunch. As optics go, it is extreme. Sharp , crisp, very clear, great contrast, visually stunning for a rangefinder monocular. However, it was SLOW. Much slower than the Leica, and the Sigs electronics and microprocessors made the Zeiss look like it was stuck in the early 1990's where a 200 megahertz processor was considered fast. The scan feature on the Zeiss was nothing compared to the Sig, in fact, you may as well not even use it. It only gets frustrating. But optically, it is Superior to everything compared. I would rate it a step above the Leica in that regard. Same reticle problem as the Sig. Large round reticle. It too did not remain in focus.

4. Vortex ranger 1000- 6x with 22mm objective.
It is built like a tank. This is all the good I have to say about it. Obviously would not give a reading on the outback steak house. SLOW cumbersome. Optics were ok. Better optically than the Nikon Aculon, but not close to the other 4 mentioned rangefinders being compared. It is SLOW. Did you HEAR ME? IT IS SLOW. I put it down right away. It should not have even been in this comparison.

5. Leupold RX1200i TBR with DNA. 6X WITH 22mm Objective.
This is the one I purchased. I can give dad his rangefinder back now.
Since I have been using this rangefinder, I know a little more about it than the others. I will still try to be objective with an honest straight forward review.
It did not range the outback steak house. No reading. This rangefinder is the fastest.
It gives instantaneous reads. Scan mode is blazing fast. While in " last target mode" It will range through things like electric wires, limbs from trees that fall into the view/beam. The Optical quality is close to Leica. It's sharp as a pin with excellent image quality. I didn't get to compare the others to Leupold in low light. I can say this though. With the Leupold, you can see images at 142 yards when it gets so dark, you can't see the image with the naked eye. This one has three choices in reticles. The one I use is the crosshair.
The reticle never gets blurry no matter how far out im looking. It remains in focus.
It also has intensity settings. Hi medium and low. Even at its lowest intensity, the reticle will blind you to the target ( in extremely low light) , but will still give you a reading within its ranging limits. I wish Leupold would fix that. The Sig style reticle, or Leica and even Zeiss for that matter, all nailed it with a reticle that automatically adjusts to lighting conditions.
But that is all they nailed in reference to reticles. This is just me, when I say this. I prefer Leupolds crosshair reticle to all others, but even it could be made better.
NONE OF THEM need a reticle so thick and bulky or anything that completely covers OR in the case of Sig and Zeiss encircles a bird at 100 yards. I'm exaggerating a little here, but still in all, you get the picture........or might not if your reticle covers it. On a side note, the Leupold does have a clear spot in the middle of the crosshair which is useful until light disappears, in which case it becomes useless because you're blinded by the reticle to the target being ranged. The Leupold does not give you temperatures or pressures such as the leica. It does , however, give angle compensation, and ballistics in MOA, MIL or Hold over. It also gives you a trigonometry feature. The Leupold also encompasses "Bow mode" out to 125 yards.
Reads to 1/10 of a yard within its ranging limits. (Much like the Sig) Yes the Leupold is packed with features and in my opinion is the most versatile rangefinder of the group. And yes, it's tough as a nail. Very Slightly more compact than Sig, ( Leupold is slightly shorter) weighing in at 2/10's of an ounce heavier. The Sig does not give up much as compact goes. So here are my ratings.

1. Optical quality beyond shadow of doubt,
Zeiss is the hands down winner in this category. Leica is not far behind with Leupold taking the third spot. Sig Optics are far better than I expected and to be fair, it's head and heels above many of the Nikons, bushnells, and off brands like Halo and bass pro shops brand that I have handled and it is definitely not far behind any of the three I rated above it in this category, which in itself surprised me.

2. Pure all out extended long range.
Sig wins this hands down in my comparison. Followed closely by Leica.
The other three aren't even in the running when it comes to this category.
As ranging goes, Sig clearly commands the pack in this test.

3. " the most handsome unit" Category 3 is something no one really cares about.
This title goes to Leupold and Sig. Both are attractive units. Wrap the Leupold in Mossey oak camo armor and it wins this. In straight Leupold black, it becomes a tie between Sig and Leupold. A matter of preference. Both units are more visually appealing than the large and Bulky Zeiss and the oddly shaped Leica.

4. Versatility, feature set and microprocessor speed.
Leupold wins this one hands down with Sig coming in second in the speed bracket.
The Leupold gives instantaneous readings. It's slightly faster than Sig and much faster than Zeiss and scans have no delays such as both Leica and Zeiss ( especially Zeiss) showed in this comparison. Sig was the closest competitor in this speed sub catagory but still not as fast as Leupold, but not far behind at all.

In conclusion.
I can easily see why people are choosing Sig units over some of the other top brands. This is a nice unit. The reticle problem needs to be addressed and re-tuned by Sig. I have 20/20 vision. The reticle was out of focus on the unit I tested. It was fast as hell and ranged beyond a mile, with very good optics ( in my opinion) all wrapped up in a handsome , tough package. Though not quite as optically precise as 3 of the others, it makes up for its slight shortcomings in pure all out range finding performance.

That's how I see it.

TheShootist

Last edited:
XShootistx,

Your evalustion/comparison is the most complete, accurate and unbiased I've come across in ages.

I can clearly 'see' why you made the purchase that you did. Your discussion also clearly shows why I picked the Kilo.

Both of us are happy hunters.

Good job!

The other day someone was complaining about no one telling him how the Sig optics compare, so here's some info.

Today, April 15, 2016, the sky is totally overcast at 10AM. I compared the Nikon Monarch 3 8X32 binocular, Leica 1200 scan, and the Sig Kilo 2000 rangefinders. After adjusting each to see the smallest lines on the military chart I found the Nikon allowed me to see #5 – 3, with the Leica I could see #5 – 1 and with the Sig I could see #5 – 2. The largest group of lines is #6 and the next smallest is #5. In each group of lines I have to see both horizontal and vertical or I call it the next larger set up. This chart is 127 yards from my platform where the sand bags hold the optic being tested.

The military chart looks like this:
20132714-99df-403c-8ad0-fe02bba6d05d_zps96efidmo.jpg

Anyone order from Vizard's Guns and Ammo? $392 sounds too good! Will likely place the order and see what happens. i'll report back whether I receive or not.

Anyone order from Vizard's Guns and Ammo? $392 sounds too good! Will likely place the order and see what happens. i'll report back whether I receive or not.

Pardon me Pilgrim, "Are you saying I can buy this here Sig Kilo for 392.00?
The **** thing was 500.00 plus the Governments forced at gunpoint, cut.
550.00 including the Elitist Monarchy fee, paid to the rulers who in turn, force you to pay them to eat, breathe, drink water, regulate everything to where they basically own it INCLUDING YOUR FRONT YARD and all the rest of your property...or anything else you may happen to own.

To unknown entities who may be monitoring( the NSA) I happily pay these fees to live in a country who allowed me the opportunity to be born by taxing the very person who gave me birth, to her final breath. For that my debt of gratitude seems to be never-ending, especially if I have a job............or buy anything, or invest in anything, or even make a phone call. I publicly thank you for the rights you gave me, most notably " the right to bear arms" that you want to take from me, even after you trained me to hit a man sized target at 600-1000 yards. And beyond. Sometimes. Most of the time.

Kind regards,
TheShootist

Yes sir let us all jump on board and send more of our wealth to our good friend China. After all it will range a sign at 1500 and the cost is a few dollars less. Maybe we ought to rethink? I would rather send money to Japan or Germany but only if I had to. Is the Leupold at least assembled here? Nightforce get in the game assembled here.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.