sig 300 wm brass

Rckymtnshooter

I was looking at some Sig 300 wm brass yesterday and it looks pretty good. Anyone use any yet or know who makes it ? It has a very distinct annealing line on the neck/shoulder area.

I bought a bag of this brass today. Weight spread was 2.6 grains between 49 rounds. I say 49 because that's what was in the bag. Funny how when you get more than 50....bonus ! but 49 and it was like..what the hell. Water capacity volume was 89.1 grains as compared to 90 grains with Hornady. Case length was very consistent. I'm hoping this brass will outlast the Hornady I have been recently shooting. I'm on my 3rd loading on some new Hornady with noticeably looser primer pockets.

I'm hoping this brass will outlast the Hornady I have been recently shooting. I'm on my 3rd loading on some new Hornady with noticeably looser primer pockets.

+1, Hopefully SIG got it right. I wish Lapua would make .300WinMag brass. I bought 100 pcs of Hornady brass and my primer pockets were sloppy after the first reloading! Yeah, I pushed it; 77.0gn of RL26 for the 208gn ELD-M (3092fps) but it's a MAGNUM! jimminee cricket, if I wanted a .30-06 I'd get one! Alright, I'm off the soap box. :)

JohnnyK.

+1, Hopefully SIG got it right. I wish Lapua would make .300WinMag brass. I bought 100 pcs of Hornady brass and my primer pockets were sloppy after the first reloading! Yeah, I pushed it; 77.0gn of RL26 for the 208gn ELD-M (3092fps) but it's a MAGNUM! jimminee cricket, if I wanted a .30-06 I'd get one! Alright, I'm off the soap box. :)

JohnnyK.

Nearly 3100 fps with a 208 in a 300win isn't going to get decent brass life unless it's steel casings. I'm doing 3,000 fps on 225's in my 300rum with rl33 and I'll tear up my brass a bit if I get the rifle hot.
As to the Sig brass; bring it on, and I hope they bring out 300rum brass- 7stw too. There aren't a lot of good brass options out there in some chamberings at present and it really ****es me off to pay 2 to 3 dollars a casing for something that was around a half dollar a casing a few years ago.

Just an update on this brass. Upon first loading I was very surprised at how loose the primer pockets were for new brass. I did a ladder test with this brass initially and used 43 rounds to complete.

I loaded up the last 16 rounds and the sized and loaded the once fired. I was really not happy with the primer seating. Some of the rounds I actually looked to see if my hand primer had not picked up a primer they seated so easy.

Right away I could see the powder was sitting lower in the case with the once fired. I measured a new piece of sig brass with a bump guage at 2.193. I then measured my once fired sig brass, that had already been sized at 2.212. My dies were set to give me .003 bump with the hornady brass I had been using. I then measured a new unfired Hornady at 2.203 and a new unfired Remington at 2.202. With the extra growth length and gained capacity I am curious to see if my results from the ladder test will change similar to what Broz recently wrote about. May not be a good brass to develop loads with when new.

Long story short I am not happy with the Sig brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.