SIG 2400ABS Revic PMR etc

iowacity

I'm looking at upgrading my system to be a little faster at gathering data and making shots on game. Currently I'm ranging and using a kestrel to collect atmospheric data, and plugging it into my phone for a solution. It's slow and has cost me game.

What do you think is the best system and why? I'm leaning towards the Sig ABS because I could use it on multiple rifles, but I haven't ever played with one so I don't know how practical it is. FYI, I do a lot of backpack hunting in remote country.

I own the Sig 2400, Gunwerks G7, and more recently, a TerrapinX/Kestral 5700....all excellent ballistic RF units, and faster then having to maunually enter data from the Kestral to a solver. Given enough time, they all can work very well for hunting. For my PRS/competition, and ELR, mainly targets, the Terrapin/Kestrsl and Sig 2400 offer advanced programming features that give these units the advantage. My personal preference for LR hunting deer and antelope out to 1000+ yards where seconds can make the difference between a shot and no shot, is the G7. The design and controls seem oriented more for the hunter then the shooter. All controls for wind output and near/far filtering (called Tru-Targeting which is very useful when interferences are present) are fingertip controlled, and do not require that you re-enter a programming mode. Adjustments can be made in seconds without taking your eye off the game. Ranging, on-board environmentals, and ballistic outputs are "very" accurate up to 5 different profiles can be loaded without requiring a separate devise which is very convenient. For several seasons it has proven to be totally reliable with a few dozen game animals and coyotes taken from 500-1200 yards. As an aside, battery life of the G7 is much greater then "any" of my other units, usually lasting an entire "cold weather" season.

Thanks GreyFox. The G7 doesn't have actual wind values and aerodynamic jump. This probably isn't a huge issue for shooting 600 yards and under. Have you noticed any handicaps with the G7 past these ranges for hunting?

Thanks GreyFox. The G7 doesn't have actual wind values and aerodynamic jump. This probably isn't a huge issue for shooting 600 yards and under. Have you noticed any handicaps with the G7 past these ranges for hunting?
I haven't felt any handicap at all out to 1000 yards. Past 700 yards or so I'll simply add/subtract a .5MOA(2 clicks) correction for wind drift.
From my experiences AD and CE have no effect shooting game and coyotes out to 1000 yards. I have taken several coyotes and an antelope(1188 Yards) as far as 1200 yards adding or subtracting a click or two up/down for CE when shooting full east or west....no magic.. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.