Sierra Game-King question.....

hitsthemark

For hunting, I have noticed that Sierra Game-king bullets tend to have good ballistic co-efficients as well as good down range energy. This is naturally very attractive to me. My question is, have people experienced jacket separation with these? Thanks!!

I've only used the .277 in 140 and 150 gr spbt's. I've never had a sub 400 pound animal stop them.

I did have a buddy with a 7 mag that retrieved a 175 gr. under the far side of an elk just under the blood shot skin. At @250 yards classic shot. I wasn't there i just saw the bullet and heard the story. I didn't weigh it. The look of it was @90%. The story is the 6X6 just fell over on impact. The guy is good with guns and it was a max loaded with imr 7828

I loaded them this year for my 264 win mag with IMR 7828. It was shooting about 3200 fps with 140 gr Gamekings and 0.6" groups @ 100yds. My dad used that gun this year and shot a nice 5x5 whitetail and a 2 1/2 yr old bull moose. Didn't find the bullet from the whitetail but the one from the moose came out looking great, also about 90%, haven't weighed it yet.
Another great bullet is the Nosler Accubond. Super accurate and talk about picture perfect petals after impact. I shot 2 moose and 2 deer with them out of my 300 WBY and had great success. But the Noslers are also twice the price.
Both are great bulllets, which one is better ? The GameKing is a great bullet, proven killing track record, flies great and the price all make a combination that is virtually impossible to beat. Yeah, you can spend more but why ?

Congrats on a really nice animal Bud. May I ask at what range this was shot from? It sounds like from what I'm heaing here and other places that the Gameking, despite not being an expensive or "bonded" bullet, holds together very well at most ranges.

Again...congrats!

I shot my elk this year with the sierra game king 7mm 140gr. The impact veocity was 3200fps. The shot was perfectly broadside just above the heart. The bullet passed completly though and left only a small hole on the exit side. I could not find the bullet, but I do not think that much was left of it , since I had about the same shot last year and the bullet did not pass through.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.