Sierra Game Changers

YUP,.. ^^^ I've studied them SERIOUSLY, too for, my 6.5 Creed, Deer / Cow & Spike, Elk "Up Close", 500 Yds Max., Hunting bullet !
I settled on, the 143 ELD-X's for, THAT, use.
For big Bull's in most any of, the 7MM's, Try, the 168 to 184 grain, H-VLD'S or, Elite Hunters, as Berger's, Kill,.. WELL !
Or, like Bigngreen said,.. the 195's if you don't mind, the extra, Recoil !
my wife killed her 6x7 montana bull this past fall @515 yards with a 6.5 creed and the 143 eld x the bull went 30 yards and fell over dead so
the 143 will and does work for big bulls not just cows and spikes elk are not bullet proof

I'm sure that, the 143 X's will work fine on, the bigger Bull's, "most of the time", with "good" Bullet placement, but I won't chance it, personally.
I Hunt with, a .270 WSM Tikka 24" bbl. that's driving the 140 Bergers almost, 3,200 FPS which is about, 450- 500 FPS faster than, my 6.5 Creed can go.
And, I know what, the .270 WSM, ( With Bergers ) can,.. "do" ! I've "Tracked" too many, poorly Hit Elk in my lifetime, So I like, a little more, "over Kill Insurance" than, the Creedmoor, can provide. Just MY personal choice and I agree that, the 143 ELD-X could do it with, a good Hit,..
I like them !

Last edited:
I'm sure that, the 143 X's will work fine on, the bigger Bull's, "most of the time", with "good" Bullet placement, but I won't chance it, personally.
I Hunt with, a .270 WSM Tikka 24" bbl. that's driving the 140 Bergers almost, 3,200 FPS which is about, 450- 500 FPS faster than, my 6.5 Creed can go.
And, I know what, the .270 WSM, ( With Bergers ) can,.. "do" ! I've "Tracked" too many, poorly Hit Elk in my lifetime, So I like, a little more, "over Kill Insurance" than, the Creedmoor, can provide. Just MY personal choice and I agree that, the 143 ELD-X could do it with, a good Hit,..
I like them !
dont do magnums in any shape form or caliber never will and I've never had to track an elk more then 60 yards after shooting them from 20 yards to just this side of 700 yards in my 35+yrs of killing them with the 280 ai and 150 grain or the 6.5 with 143 [ my 2 personal choices ]
everyone has a personal preference mine is no need for a magnum no matter what flavor or game animal .
it just makes me laugh when people think the creed won't kill n elk past 300 yards its pure bull chit killed many an elk at ranges that i know wasn't impacting anywhere near 1500 ft lbs upon impact [closer to 1325 FT LBS upon impact ] and non went farther then 60 yards doesn't take 1500 ft LBS to kill an elk cleanly 1300 will do it just fine.

as far as tracking poorly hit elk thats because the clown behind the rifle didn't have the ability to place the bullet in the vitals or tried shooting at a distance that was beyond their capabilities NOT the fault of the caliber used.

never tried bergers I'm a fan of hornady eld x and federal terminal accent or fusions along with hornady brass
magtech primers and super performance powder . I'm not one for the most popular flavor of the month club [hammer nosler leapould
lapau]
i tend to run with the not so popular most hated crowd [THE CREED and anything hornady definitely fits this category ] i like it that way

I don't look at, Ft pounds of Energy, either,.. I look at, the Bullets Velocity at, the Target and at, what Speed will that, Bullet "open up" / Perform.
I usually add, a couple hundred feet per second, to the Factory recommended MINIMUM Velocity at, a given Distance, to be safe.
The .270 WSM / Berger load that, I shoot is still going over 2,000 FPS at 800 Yards ( well past my comfortable Elk shooting, Range ).
The .270 WSM ( all the WSM's ) cartridge, is based off the old .404 Jeffery, Non- Belted, case with, a smaller Bullet / sharper 35* shoulder, to enable about, 65-70 grains of Powder to be,.. "efficient". The .270 WSM has proven to be, a popular round with, low Recoil that, reaches out.
I'm a believer in,.. Use Enough Gun.

Last edited:
I picked up some 175gr game changers for my 7SAUM as an option for hunting or something like an NRL Hunter match. I might have to load some up of the ABLR, ELD-X, and Sierra GC and do some impact studies on pronghorn this fall.