SHV 4-15x F1

NWPA0311

I am really thinking about picking an SHV 4-15 F1 up however, the short eye relief is holding me up. I played with the scope at a store yesterday and it felt like a quality piece of gear. I'm looking to get some feed back on guys who have used the SHV in the field. Should I just move up to the NXS?

Josh

I really love mine. I have mine on a 5.5 lb 300 wsm with muzzle brake. The eye relief is not a problem for me. Clear glass. Like the front focal plane. The rifle is a good shooter but actually tightened up with the shv for whatever reason. I would recommend it. The only caveat is the weight. Its on the heavy side for me. Fine with such a lightweight rifle as my 300 wsm.
But on my new project.. a 338 rum the rifle is 6lbs 11 oz so to keep weight down i went for a leuopold mk4 ffp.

Thanks Jaeger. I'm trying to scope a braked 300 wsm as well. It is good to hear that the shorter eye relief did not create a problem.

I have one on a 300 rum. The rifle weights approx. 7 1/2 lbs and does have a brake. Have had no proplem with eye relief so far. But wish to qualify that I haven't had it in a hunting situation that might give a guy some problems.

Thanks Jaeger. I'm trying to scope a braked 300 wsm as well. It is good to hear that the shorter eye relief did not create a problem.
No worries. Two things i learned. For my light rifle the leupy rings werent strong enough to deal with the recoil. I replaced two pairs until i threw up my hands and got warne ringgs and bases. And i had to build a cheek piece to get my head in line with the scope.

I have a 20 moa steel base on the rifle right now, I"m not sure what I have laying around in the ring department. Did you feel like the SHV glass was on par or superior to other scopes in that price point? I played with one in a store but never outside in natural light.

I have a 20 moa steel base on the rifle right now, I"m not sure what I have laying around in the ring department. Did you feel like the SHV glass was on par or superior to other scopes in that price point? I played with one in a store but never outside in natural light.

To me it was a little better than leupold . A lot better than vortex . I really like the reticle as well.

I was conserned about the short eye relief also but its not an issue ,it has plenty for my 7mm mag .the eye box is nice but not as friendly as a leupold vxr or vx6 .glass quality is great , way better than either of my vortex .im very happy with my shv .

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.