Shots in Practice?

Stanm70

Hello, I am currently a college student and so funds are somewhat limited say 300$ a month set aside for shooting. I reload so bullets are cheap(ish) I was just wanting to know how many bullets should I be sending down range a week to get a sufficient amount of practice in? I have custom .308, .260 rem, an ar-15 set up for long range work and a .22 lr that's also a tack driver.

It's not how many but the quality of each shot. Treat each one as the first and last you will ever make. Make them count don't just throw lead down range. set goals, if you need trigger practice focus on trigger, if its reading the wind focus on that one thing, breath control ect... concentrate on all aspects of the precision shot but really focus on the areas you know you need improvement the most. You'll get more out 5 really good shots then 50 just sprayin lead. good shootin!

Back in 1971 I bought a .243 with heavy barrel that would shoot 5 shot groups consistently way under 1/2" at 100 yds. I didn't know that you could shoot out a barrel so I shot about 200 rounds a week. By the end of the summer it would shoot good if I got a group under 1+1/2" at 100 yds. gun)- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

joseph

PS: You can shoot to much!!!! :D

Last edited:
How much should you practice? That's one only you can answer. What is your end goal, degree of proficiency you want to achieve, where is it at now? Then how naturaly talented are you, are you one of those that seem to strugle with the concept or one of the few that naturally think in the manner that goes hand in hand with rifle marksmanship and long range? For those that have niether the natural inclination, or natural ability, it takes a lot but can be done if the determination is there. But it takes a lot of effort. For those that have the inclination and natural ability will achieve high levels in short order, if the determination, and discipline is there.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.