Field Practice to Make Better Hunting Shots

Funny you mention that. We were shooting Tannerite on the 4th. Let our son try, and he missed 4 times at 30-40 yards with a 308, that I had just used to remove the cap from a Coke bottle. He is technically my stepson (I dont see it that way), but I wasnt around him when he was younger to help get him shooting rifles proficiently. I took the rifle and worked the bolt, and handed it back to him. He thought it was loaded. I turned my phone camera on. Didn't take long to find his issue. When he pulled the trigger expecting a bang, he closed both eyes and his whole body jerked. Needless to say, he wont be shooting the 300 WM anytime soon. It's bad enough as is.
Start him on something like a 22LR if you have access to one. Once he's perfected his shooting technique and eradicated his flinch he could progress to say, a 223 and then try the 308 again.

A friend and I did something similar in preparation for an upcoming hunting trip. He printed out a couple of full size images of a white tail deer and glued them to some cardboard sheets. We then took turns shooting at them from different positions and ranges. Very different to shooting off a bench and the results, for me at least, showed. But it was a very useful training exercise.

I've recently learned that my rifle (338 RUM) shoots dramatically different from the bench vs. tripod. vs bag due to the fact it recoils differently based on my shooting position and hold. Its a major difference, as in 12" at 200yds between tripod and shooting off my pack.

Realizing this, I've decided to focus my efforts on shooting from field positions such as offhand, sitting, kneeling off a tree limb, prone off a back back etc. on various terrain in various conditions.

The whole point being to get away from shooting groups off a bench and instead focus on taking one shot from random distances in various positions so that I really know my limitations.

My plan is to pack a 10" AR500 Gong up into the mountains and set it up so that I can hike away and take a shot from various distances. I was thinking of making it a bit of a game so that its a 1 miss elimination, meaning game over, pack it up if I miss. The goal wouldn't be to get "lucky" on some long range shots, but to KNOW EXACTLY what is a sure shot given the wind, tough shooting position, slope etc.

I would be practicing off-hand out to the point I wasn't sure of a hit, then going to kneeling or sitting beyond that, then prone over my pack out to farther ranges.

Anyone have any other tips, tricks or strategy that you've used to improve skills and learn your limitations?
Do you have anything supporting the butt stock? Try holding your rifle down with Your hand over the scope while you're shooting off a bipod and make sure the rear of the stock is supported so it can't drop when you shoot

I shoot features in the mountains, that way I don't have to pack stuff up there...

Find a nice rock and get at it...

I've been shooting off my pack, walking sticks, all sling free hand positions,,, or finding a solid rock to shoot off of...

Getting the rifle planted is key in my books,,, I'm sure that most folks follow this idea...

Google a shooter named """German""" he has some awesome ideas when it comes to free hand shooting in the TR/ Full Bore world...

Find the sling anchor point and get at it...
He explains how to cinch up fast to get those shots off...

Cheers from the North

Start him on something like a 22LR if you have access to one. Once he's perfected his shooting technique and eradicated his flinch he could progress to say, a 223 and then try the 308 again.

He also has a Savage in .270. The problem is, he thinks he knows it all. Just like I was with my dad.

It's weird. The older I get, the smarter my dad seems.

I used to just "practice" shooting at the range, off the bench. I finally realized that is really only productive for groupings.

I now get "real scenario" practice in. I always shoot with only my trigger hand touching the gun. I will shoot prone with a bipod, or off a backpack, and I use tree limbs to shoot out to 800 yards or so. Definitely makes me
More confident out in the field.

[
I've recently learned that my rifle (338 RUM) shoots dramatically different from the bench vs. tripod. vs bag due to the fact it recoils differently based on my shooting position and hold. Its a major difference, as in 12" at 200yds between tripod and shooting off my pack.

Realizing this, I've decided to focus my efforts on shooting from field positions such as offhand, sitting, kneeling off a tree limb, prone off a back back etc. on various terrain in various conditions.

The whole point being to get away from shooting groups off a bench and instead focus on taking one shot from random distances in various positions so that I really know my limitations.

My plan is to pack a 10" AR500 Gong up into the mountains and set it up so that I can hike away and take a shot from various distances. I was thinking of making it a bit of a game so that its a 1 miss elimination, meaning game over, pack it up if I miss. The goal wouldn't be to get "lucky" on some long range shots, but to KNOW EXACTLY what is a sure shot given the wind, tough shooting position, slope etc.

I would be practicing off-hand out to the point I wasn't sure of a hit, then going to kneeling or sitting beyond that, then prone over my pack out to farther ranges.

Anyone have any other tips, tricks or strategy that you've used to improve skills and learn your limitations?
I have a similar set-up, but my "dial in distance"is 609 meters, which is a 10 in plate I have setup on my range..When I'm going hunting, I'll wander out onto the range, in a different place everytime..Quickly range the plate & make the shot .. which is at a different angle to me & how the wind is everytime..If I don't hit that first time,,I'll have a good hard look at what I did wrong...Take one more shot with whatever correction if any..If I don't nail it then I figure I'm not shooting well enough to take the deer I hunt at around those distances....More practice, like every other day..I should add I'm using a 338 Edge so it's not that hard to do...
QUOTE="Golovkin, post: 1671219, member: 104797"]I've recently learned that my rifle (338 RUM) shoots dramatically different from the bench vs. tripod. vs bag due to the fact it recoils differently based on my shooting position and hold. Its a major difference, as in 12" at 200yds between tripod and shooting off my pack.

Anyone have any other tips, tricks or strategy that you've used to improve skills and learn your limitations?[/QUOTE]

I should add that the rifle's more than capable of making the shot, it's me I test everyday I hunt which is 3-4 times a week & I practice on the range every day,subject to weather....So it's a check that I'm up to the job & equipment check also...

I like to wander around the mountains and shoot at rocks or other terrain features using what ever is at hand to support me and/or the rifle. Shoot quick as though hunting or set up a quick prone over the pack shot for distance. I carry my rangefinder and hunting pack just as I will when hunting. When I miss I try again until I understand what went wrong. Basically I'm out there hunting inanimate objects.

It can be very revealing (in a humbling way) even for those of us with lots of shooting experience to see what we do when the gun doesn't go off. I sometimes do this, deliberately mixing in a few dummy rounds when practicing. No one is immune from seeing some bad habits creeping back in. On the flip side it's very rewarding to see work making a difference. I used to flinch something terrible.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.