Shortened range session with 280AI, MRP, RL22 and 139gr LRX

GW Hunter

CA 280AI
Nosler brass once fired, trimmed to 2.515"
Federal GM210M primers
139gr LRX seated .085" off
CBTO 2.610"

Loaded 10 rounds each of MRP and RL22 for a ladder test today. Started at 60gr and increased by .35 gr up to 63.15gr. Well I didn't get very far... My plan was to rotate shots between powders, so I started with the 60gr of MRP. 1st shot velocity was 3149'/sec, which was much higher than expected. There was no bolt lift change and the case showed no signs so I took it for what is was. I moved to the 60gr of RL22. 1st shot velocity was 3250'/sec and the case showed an ejector mark. That was surprising to me, and safe to say that was the end of the RL22 for the day. I then shot the 60.35 gr of MRP. Velocity of that was 3231'/sec and a slight ejector mark. That pretty much ended my day.

I am really curious about the pressure value that the 1st shot of RL22 generated. Can anyone running a ballistics program like quickload punch in the numbers and give me an approximate number? It would be appreciated. Thanks...

I know RL22 is a popular powder for the 280AI. Can anyone point me to a better starting load to try? Thanks again...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.