shipping meat

redstater

I am planning my first self guided archery Colorado Elk hunt. It will probably be more of a scouting trip,however I need to plan for meat in case we connect. I thought of just donating the meat locally, but after killing myself packing it out I think it will be mighty tasty. I don't know where to begin with shipping and would greatly appreciate any imput. I

MANY of the folks on this site will be able to help you but we need more info;

Are you driving or flying?
How far/long?
Are you capable of processing the meat yourself in Colorado?
Are you set financially to let a butcher take care of it for you (read $$$)?

With a little more information some of the folks here will be able to help you out I'm sure.

And GOOD LUCK in Colorado!!!

my hunting buddy connected on a nice 5x5 last fall i think it cost him $175 to have it shipped from durango to SO. Cal. I'm not sure what it cost to have it butchered but it sure was tasty

DB

Find out who the meat processors are in the area you will be hunting in and contact them. They should have all the neccesary info for shipping meat. If you drive, bring a few extra empty coolers and just keep ice in it as you make your way home. Or you could always swing by my place and leave it here for me to take care of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Jerry

I was planning on doing my own processing, but but may use a butcher if it makes it easier. As of now I am leaning towards flying into Denver and renting a SUV, to save myself the road time from Ohio, flying versus driving is about the same cost. This could turn into a rifle hunt if my brother decides not to go, that should simplifiy meat handling due to better temps.

To process a "typical" elk out here, and in northern New Mexico, it seems to cost around $200-$250. A few friends have had the processed meat shipped out of Denver, and that worked fine for them. Many of the processor units make regular trips to DIA for this purpose, so I don't think it would be a problem.

One thing to keep in mind, is that most places that accept donated meat insist that the processing was done at a "commercial" processor, with all the packages stamped.

If you are flying I would go with a meat processor/butcher. To pack all the stuff you need just for hunting will be hard enough without also hauling the things needed for butchering/packaging an elk. I agree with what most of the others have said. Good meat processors are well versed in shipping meat home for people. One suggestion; ask around for refences for local butchers. Here where I'm at there a few great butcher shops; and a few I would shy away from. The best way to sort through them is to ask the locals.

Good luck!!!

i drove from wisconsin to california last fall with about 300 pounds of venision on the back of my expdidtion it was frozen when left wisconsin and was frozen when i got home

DB

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.