Shipping Gun Powder??

Buzzsaw

What is the legal way to ship gun powder (smokeless) between individuals? Or is there one?

With this shortage, I have powder I don't need but do need other powders, other than FTF is there a way to ship it?

I needed to ship some powder to a friend for his new rifle. I explored every way I could find. UPS or Fed -x would not ship it from there locations. It had to be packaged by a certified haz-mat shipper. It took numerous phone calls and 5 weeks time to get it done. I had to drive it to Atlanta 2 hours away to a haz-mat shipper and they still had problems getting Fed-x to pick it up. It was a real pain. The haz-mat shippers fees and fed-x costs were over $200.00 . If you ship it without going through the proper channels you can go to prison for 5 years and or $250,000 fine. Good luck , Gary

There is a way. But it takes work. With the big shortage lately I have used this. I use a bunch of range pick up brass in 308 or some other popular high volume cartridge. Tumble it clean, fill with powder, tape a small cut piece of wooden dowel in for the bullet and the put it in a ammo carrier. Ups will ship it this way as small arm ordinance. It requires a sticker on the box which they will supply.

There is such a thing as surplus training ammo that had wooden bullets. I have done this a few times lately with no problems what so ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.