Setting up rifle for CO Elk

I think I'd stay with a zero rail keep your internal adjustments nearer center.

I have another suggestion for marking the dial. Get four different color paint pens and put a coded dot at each spot make a note on your stock if you have to but it is pretty simple! Or zero in for 300 and forget dialing or just use three colors...

I put 20 MOA rails on just about everything (I have a 10 on a Ruger 10/22 and a 30 on a Bergara BMR). I would definitely consider the amount of total elevation travel available for the scope before considering something like a 30 MOA rail. For instance this VX-5HD only has 75 MOA of travel available, meaning 37.5 up and down from center. You don't give yourself a ton of wiggle room with a 30 MOA rail, some say to leave 10 MOA at the bottom.

Good morning all. I just purchased a Tikka T3x in 300 Win Mag for an Elk hunt this coming fall. I am getting a Picatinny rail to put on this rifle. I have options for 0,10 or 20 MOA on the rail. Can anyone tell me if I need the MOA adjustment on the rail, and if so, what adjustment would you suggest? I am putting a Leupold VX-5hd 4-20x with a CDS on, if that matters. I am assuming I could find myself shooting out to 600 yds. Thanks for any insight.
I recommend 20 MOA so that you can practice out to 1000yrds or more. If you can learn to hit at 1000, 600 is a slam-dunk. I would forget the CDS. IF you change your load, it's useless. Learn how to use ballistic software to dial up yardage. Hear are some tools:
1708301975429.jpeg

1708302047328.jpeg

The Sig Saur 3000 KILO binoculars are rangefinding binoculars that will give you the yardage and the MOA dial-up.