Setting up rifle for CO Elk

mancini1212

Good morning all. I just purchased a Tikka T3x in 300 Win Mag for an Elk hunt this coming fall. I am getting a Picatinny rail to put on this rifle. I have options for 0,10 or 20 MOA on the rail. Can anyone tell me if I need the MOA adjustment on the rail, and if so, what adjustment would you suggest? I am putting a Leupold VX-5hd 4-20x with a CDS on, if that matters. I am assuming I could find myself shooting out to 600 yds. Thanks for any insight.

If you're only going to 600…..you could probably survive without either. But, if ya put one on….I agree with sp6x6 on the 20 moa. 🙂

Granted, 600 yards is my personal maximum range limit (self imposed) for the shooting of game ……my rifle is capable far beyond that with my CDS with 0 moa base! But, I also zero at 300, which gives me much greater range with my CDS using the zero-stop. By the way, JMO, I recommend using the zero-stop on a hunting scope….but, that's just me! memtb

Thanks for all of the quick responses. I am also putting a 600 yd (self imposed) limit on myself. I have a local range out to 600, so I can comfortably practice to that range. How confident are you in the adjustments the CDS makes? I have all of the info for Leupold to make the dial, including elevation I will likely be hunting at. I am just curious if the adjustment stay true. Thanks

My CDS dial was spot on up to 600. At 700 impacts were a foot below CDS "7" and at 800 impacts were almost two feet below CDS "8". This was for a .30 with muzzle vel of 3080. I plan to mark up my own dial next time.

The unknown munitions and sportsmatch rings are better options than a picatinny on a Tikka unless you use picatinny on everything else and swap scopes around. You don't need any inclination to get to 600 with a 300 win mag and a decent bullet.

Cds is trash, just like all leupold dialing products.

You don't need it for 600yds. You really won't need it unless you plan on shooting 1K.
CDS dial work but you need to go shoot and confirm at the drops at distance BEFORE you send the dial in to get made. Most just send in ballistics and get it made, that can bring up issues when you get to distance.

I prefer just dialing MOA without a CDS on my VX5's

Great insight guys. I appreciate all of ur info and experience. I am looking forward to setting this rifle up and developing a load for it. Thanks.