Semi Autos legal to hunt big game in PA.

Good hunters want to make a 1 shot instant kill. NO NEED for more than 1 shot only poor shooters need several shots, TEACH YOUR KIDS TO SHOOT and hit what they are aiming at.

Just because you are using a semi auto doesn't mean you throw first shot accuracy out the window and immediately go to accuracy by volume. Since I imagine very few people are hunting with single shot rifles then it stands that the vast majority are using repeating rifles of some kind whether it be bolt, lever, pump or semi auto. All of them can be used to accurately place the first round directly in the vitals but provide a quicker follow up than a single shot rifle.

And things don't always go according to plan and some times even a good shot requires a follow up. Here's a couple examples.

- I shot my 475 pound black bear 4 times and 3 of the 4 were fatal by themselves, the one that wasn't was due to a last second movement as it was on the run and I was off by about 2 inches on a target running downhill through the woods.

- My bison was shot twice with an 1874 Sharps, a single shot rifle, and both shots were fatal but the first had no reaction so I shot again and it dropped

- A doe I shot in muzzleloader last year, she was moving towards me and just as she cleared cover she decided something wasn't right and turned 180 degrees at the shot. Due to her twist I hit the far lung along with the liver and front edge of the guts. She dropped at the shot and I thought she was dead but when she tried to get up after I reloaded I shot her again.

Outside of them almost every one of my deer has been killed with a single shot yet I continue to take repeating rifles into the woods and immediately reload my rifle in the event that I need to use a second round.

This past year I topped off my bolt rifle with one in the chamber plus an 8 round mag when I was a stander on a drive. I killed my buck on the run at 150 yards with a single shot but had I needed a second the capability was there.

Last edited:
One shot one kill for sure but I would love my boy to be able to use one. Low recoil and a stock that is adjustable enough to fit him. No rifle stock fits my kids because of the long length of pull even on the compact youth models. My kids are small and the ar platform works for them.

I've hunted in PA back in the days of the massive "3 day drives" Personally I always used a rem 700 bolt action in 30-06, but many of the locals in the group (norther tier counties of Pa) preferred the 760 Gamemaster and yes, when the deer showed up in front if them, they filled the sky with lead. If I was still hunting, and the state permitted semi auto's, I would NOT be hunting in Pa.

I've hunted in PA back in the days of the massive "3 day drives" Personally I always used a rem 700 bolt action in 30-06, but many of the locals in the group (norther tier counties of Pa) preferred the 760 Gamemaster and yes, when the deer showed up in front if them, they filled the sky with lead. If I was still hunting, and the state permitted semi auto's, I would NOT be hunting in Pa.

Haven't you heard? The big woods are dead since all the deer left after herd reduction and everybody now hunts closer to home. Not to mention almost half a million less hunters than there was in the early 80's.

I grew up in NE PA many moons ago. It was the culture to do "Deer Drives" the last few days of the season. I never liked it and never participated. You would have the "Drivers" and the "Posters". Anything that moved got shot at.

I grew up in NE PA many moons ago. It was the culture to do "Deer Drives" the last few days of the season. I never liked it and never participated. You would have the "Drivers" and the "Posters". Anything that moved got shot at.
Well in fairness to all, i dont agree with your assessment of hunters who participate in organized drives.
Those who will shoot at anything that moves, would be just as apt to roll down a window and shoot one standing next to a road.
And the fact is that back in the day when there were far more deer, much of that took place.
Especially on poor wether days.

Organized drives can be a very productive method, provided there are enough of the willing and able types to cover the area involved properly.
Unfortunately, that isnt the case with many groups.
If an employer has ten employees, there will be at least one who wouldnt be missed.
And for sure the same is true with hunters involved with organized drives.