Coyote hunting in W/NW PA?

Hookturnr

I've recently gotten afflicted with this **** songdog sickness and was wondering if anyone else around my way has as well? I've spent a few bucks to get up and running, found a few places with coyote sign, hunted a few days when I get the chance but no luck yet.. If you guys are into this, whats working for you? I'd share what was working for me if it was working:rolleyes: but its called "Hunting" for a reason right!

I've seen a handful in NWPA over the years. The only guy I know that is regularly killing them is running a few dogs. I believe he has killed over five in the last month or two. It's a lot different than the midwest here!

one night last deer season we had a bear destroy the hind quarters of a buck we had hanging at our nc pa camp. next day we removed what remained of the hindquarters and took them out behind the camp about 100 yds. we didnt intend them as bait but thats what happened. next night a pack of coyotes
showed up. we of coarse were caught by surprise and didnt capitalize on it.
that no doubt wouldnt be as much fun as daytime hunting. but it might just be a good way of getting some coyotes.
ive since heard of a neibor who uses road killed deer for that purpose.
im not sure about the legality of that but i guess the coyotes dont care.

I wasn't familiar with that forum, I'll have to check it out. I've been having a little bit of success as of late but nothing dramatic. Dogs a few and far between from what I'm seeing but I've gotten a couple with careful sets and a few different mouth calls. Seems to work best with a partner set up about 25 yds. away acting as overwatch.

You'll have to put plenty of time in, but don't give up. The guys using dogs defiantly do more damage but there's nothing quite like calling one in.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.