Semi-Auto 284 Winchester

375rifleman

I Was just wondering if anyone has converted a Semi-Auto 308 Winchester to 284 Winchester or any 284 Winchester based wildcats? Can this be done (I know anything can be done with enough time and money) how difficult would this conversion be. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, or answers.

I could be WAY wrong on this one but I do be leave the Winchester offered that round in their model 88 (Lever gun) their model 100 (Semi Auto) My dad had the model 100 in .308. so anything is possible.
Guns international has a bunch of them on there site right now, and even the .284. I just had to go check

Last edited:
I`ve been thinking AR-10, FAL, M1A, or even the zastava m77 308 Winchesters converted to 284 Winchester or 284 based wildcats. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts,opinions,or answers.

I have done AR-10s in magnums. IIRC is was DPMS and or Armalite that use to offer magnum bolt face bolts but discontinued after a few years because of demand as far as I know. Given this I can not see there being an issue with doing a 284 but I have not actually done one is that exact case.

To be honest I`m really only interested in the wildcats that are based on the 284 Winchester From .172-.416 calibers. Although mainly interested in those wildcats that are 6mm or larger. I`ve heard that the 375x284 is really close to the 375 H&H in performance.

That makes it easier of course as you are xealing with the standard bolt face. You will have to play with the gas port and possibly the location basex on the pressure curve. I would start without any gas port and leave off the hand guard and use/borrow pressure trace so you can see how the curve land time looks. That will help pick the location and then start with a very small port and open it one stepup at a time.

I also made a wildcat off the 284 as well for my trg22 as I wanted the fatter case but did not want to open up the sako bolt face as the bolts are stupid $$$. Hell mags are 125 and bipod 400. A bolt is likely 500. No thank you.

You may have to stay back off the 65k mayne 60 if you plan fast firing strings for reliable function but I am not sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.