Self filming long range shooting and hunting

seidersjoden

There are many lenses out there, anyone have any idea what size I'll need to capture film at 1000y?

Im doing this with a rebel T6i or s. many lenses come in 18-55, 18-135, or 75-300?

Thanks
Joden

There are many lenses out there, anyone have any idea what size I'll need to capture film at 1000y?

Im doing this with a rebel T6i or s. many lenses come in 18-55, 18-135, or 75-300?

Thanks
Joden
This is a tough question. Having done some self filming (not in a hunting environment) I can only give you my opinion based on my limited experience. First I believe you need 2 cameras, an action camera like a gopro and then your dslr or similar. A 300mm lens will work at 1k but not well. I think something in the 500 to 600mm range would show more detail but for the price of these lenses, you could buy a very nice rifle. Filming thru a spotting scope would be another option. A good quality scope is absolutely necessary but you could end up with something like a 1200mm lense equivalent depending equipment used. There is a lot more to this subject but good luck.

I use my phone through my spotting scope all the time at the range because I'm normally alone.

During my recent Aoudad hunt in west Texas I tried to carry everything by my self...well I did carry everything all by my self...that lasted 1 1/2 days before I dumped it out for the next morning hunt.

It was too much for one guy. Never set it up once...

Thanks for the advice fellas. I have used the phoneskope attached to a spotting scope method, the issue I had was there just wasn't enough clarity and it actually takes a hot minute to zoom the sotting scope in and get rid of the shadow arounds the sides. I know I want to use a camera for better film quality, and like you said CaptnC, I'll prob get annoyed as well carrying all those items. I'll have a smaller sony handy cam as backup in case I get discouraged but the downside is I won't be able to film longer shots on it with it's zoom power.

Thanks!

If you wanna catch a good film you have to invest on a pretty good lense. I agree that some lense cost as much as a very good rifle. 18-55 is just a stock lense. The higher the lense the better.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts