Secondary Primer?!

Deederswy

Hey everyone,
So, here is the issue, its probably the same issue a lot of us are having right about now, im down to my last 300-400 Federal standard and GM primers. Being that they are near to impossible to find im thinking of looking at other primers and didn't know if anyone has already done this and can give their input on their success and which might be the route to go CCI 250's, WLRM or Remington 9 1/2M's…which will give the best consistency and reliability….I will be using them for a 7mm mag and 270WSM….Any info would be great! Thanks!

There is no real way of telling which primer will work best with your particular load until you try them. Primers do make a difference in the accuracy of a particular load. I have had good results with all of them but have had to start from scratch with the loads.

RT2506 is right on the money. I would add, buy some of each that you can find and try them. finding any components is tough. I have had to change bullets, powder, primers, etc. because I can no longer find my old stand by stuff consistently.

Hey everyone,
So, here is the issue, its probably the same issue a lot of us are having right about now, im down to my last 300-400 Federal standard and GM primers. Being that they are near to impossible to find im thinking of looking at other primers and didn't know if anyone has already done this and can give their input on their success and which might be the route to go CCI 250's, WLRM or Remington 9 1/2M's…which will give the best consistency and reliability….I will be using them for a 7mm mag and 270WSM….Any info would be great! Thanks!

If I had known this 2 months ago, I could have brought you some primers. I was out for CFD and spent 2 weeks out and about the area. (there are a few less PD's, sorry...) I've seen Fed's on just about every shelf here in the east.

I use almost nothing but CCI and Winchester primers when at all possible with CCI being my first choice. I have never had a problem with either. I'm sure you will find one or the other suitable for your loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts