Seating depth?

samson

I shoot a Factory mod 70 that has been accurized. I am trying to determine the best seating depth and what tools I need to accomplish this. I have heard that one should seat a bullet long and chamber it-take a measurement and back off a bit. This seems a bit basic? Thanks for any help.

samson, You can get one of them Chamber-all over all length gauges, $30, or what I do is take a fired case from that rifle put a bullet in the case leaving it on the long side of course,(try using a case thats kinda on tight side) or you can put a little crimp in the brass that will hold it pretty good. chamber the dummy load carefully and when the bullet reaches the lands it'll push the bullet in, carefully remove and take a measurement, do this a few times to verify, that'll be your Max oal for that bullet, now you can use that length if you want to start your load development but when you get to the max load in your manual you may get some pressure signs, I usually back off a few thousands(.004) and start working from there, it all depends how fast the powder is you're using, slower powder is a little more forgiving then a faster one when close to the lands, my 30-06 model 70 shooting 150 Bal. tips shoots really well .045" off the lands, w/50.5grn. of Varget. Now if your using a short action you'll only be able to make the bullet so long cuz it won't fit in your magazine once you get past 2.830", By the way, what cal. and bullet ya using? Hope this will help you. Jay
wink.gif

samson, I've had excellent results with 190gr Hornady in my '06' and you might want to try 178 A-MAX, I know when I talked to Hornady last week I was pretty impressed by their accuracy standards for their match bullets, If I remember correctly it's 5/8" @200yds for calibers over .22 and 1/4" for 22 cal. before they leave the building. Just a thinkin' out loud. Jay
wink.gif

Thanks Jay, I may look into these. It seems like I am always putting more on my Plate. (If I put in as much time and effort in my work around the house as I do with Longrange Hunting, my wife wouldnt have anything to complain about.)

Tell me about it, I just ordered some 52gr A-MAX & more 53gr match bullets for my 223 along with the other bullets I've loaded already that I haven't even shot yet, range open up in 2 weeks. I got some 53gr Hornady match, 50grRem. powerlokt, 55grV-MAX, Barnes 50gr VLC, hey, you can always use them bullets that don't shoot as well for practice. I'm not to worried about it, I think they'll all shoot pretty descent, just like your Win Mag, not really a fussy round from what I hear. OK,OK honey, I'll get back to the vacuum now.
grin.gif
wink.gif
Jay

Jay,

I am shooting a 300 win mag. I have narrowed the bullets down to 90 grn SMK or the 180 Hornady SST.

Jay,

I did what you said regarding loading a dummy round and chambering it. The only problem is that the bullets will not fit into the internal magazine being this long. They will load in a single shot fashon. Is this a problem? I think the OAL is 3.52. This seems very long for a 300 win mag.

samson, Boy, you must have a long throat on that rifle. Well, the only thing you can do is seat the bullet so it fits in the magazine and hope it shoots good. I see in my Hornady manual that the 190gr match bullet has an OAL of 3.500, and the test rifle is a Model 70, Do you mind shooting it single shot? Is this for hunting or target? For target I'd put the bullet .005-.015" off the lands and shoot it, hunting you might want to have it fit in the mag. Whats the max you can put the OAL and still fit the mag.? I just answered that myself, 3.400". So it all depends if you mind shooting it single shot or not, longrangehunting you can probably get away with a single shot, but it may shoot really well with the OAL at 3.390. Only one way to find out.... Fire in the hole! J
grin.gif

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

When a bullet OAL is listed, does this measurement mean from base to tip or base to ogive?

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.