screwup - SPP in .223 reloads

GDKinCO

Looks like I ended up in a screwup. I was walking a couple of friends through learning how to reload. I have 2 Dillon 750, 1 set up for 9mm and the other for .223 with one new guy on each press, and we loaded 300 rounds of ammo. I'm pretty structured about the bench layout, try to keep it well organized, with only the single powder, primer, projectile for the load on the bench. The presses are set up next to each other but adequate room for each operator to have his own space. I demo'ed the first primer tube load, supervised the second load, but left them a bit less unsupervised for the 3rd load.

When I was cleaning up the presses after they went home, I discovered the .223 setup had 65 Small Pistol Primers left in the primer feeder, which means there's 35 rounds of .223 in his batch of 300 rounds that have the wrong primer. The 9mm press primer feed tube was empty and that operator said he was very sure all the primers he used were correct - he noted the red primer cup on every stroke.

So, never having run into this, a quick internet search indicates SPP in a rifle round is a pretty sure bet that one will get pierced primers, blowback, or worse. Looks like I get to teach them how to pull rounds down now for that suspect batch of 300 .223 to find the 35 SPP?

What are your thoughts and suggestions at this point for those suspect rounds? Take them down until 35 SPP are found?

As far as reducing the risk that it won't happen again, I'm separating the pegboard behind the presses, and hanging primer tubes with labels, and a shelf for the primer box in use at the time, as well as reminder labels for each component in the recipe for each press.

Time for a safety stand-down and some more formal training.

If it isn't correct, I would pull them apart for sure. Lesson learned.

I always completely clean off my bench between loading different cartridges. Put EVERYTHING away, then get everything back out again for the new cartridge.