scopes and rifle options

spdcrazy

ok, I can't make up my mind. I have a savage 110/111 in 300wm with a vortex diamondback 3x9x40. and a ruger #1 in 6mm with a older weaver scope.

I am debating on getting a different/new scope.
I want to keep my 300wm halfway light but will be pushing my comfort zone out to further distances
my 6mm will be what I take for whitetail, coyotes etc. and should be fun to push out to a bit of distance.

so, I could buy the same scope and put it on my 6mm. or maybe something a bit bigger for the 300 and swap the 3x9 onto the 6mm. but then my 300 gets a bit heavier.

I haven't shot my 6mm at any distances yet, but I feel I should be able to shoot to 600 yards? is this about right or will the wind blow the bullet around to much at that kind of distance?

Shooting the 6mm 600 yds depends on the twist. If its an 8 you can shoot a Berger 105 VLD easily which will pretty much run with anything you can shoot from the 300WM. Lots of 6mms get shot WELL PAST 1K. Energy may be less but they will run the wind pretty well.
If its a 10 and wants to shoot 80gr stuff then wind will be a bigger issue.

Crazy, my opinion you need more powerful scopes for each to go to 600 and beyond in each rifle. There are some reasonably priced 4X16X50 scopes available with good glass to reach out there. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.