Scopes - reticles and turret options?

Jerry D

Ok guys - what system do you like the best. I am only familiar with a standard duplex reticle and covered 1/4 moa turrets.

I don't shoot that far currently and I use a .223 and and my standard scope turrets. I twist them whatever MOA I need up to compensate for the drop @ whatever range I'm shooting. They are not target or tactical style - Just the plain Jain turret. (I have a VX III and I just twist that little gold thing around to match up with the 0 on the knob so I can keep track of my 100 yard zero) What other options are there.

I want to get into longer range shooting with a 6.5 or 7mm and I'm not sure what style turrets and reticles people favor.

I've heard of metric turrets?

Mil dot reticles however for me it seems converting mills to MOA is a real pain in the ***, do mil dot reticles come with mil turrets? is there such a thing?

Custom BDC turrents (you just twist the turret until you get to the desired range hash mark?) (are these like MOA turrets, but instead of dialing 4 moa up which equals say, 400 yards you just twist to the 400 setting?)

Range compensating reticles also exist.

So that being said, can you give your opinion on what reticles and turret options you like the best. I may have missed some.

Last edited:
Mil dot reticles however for me it seems converting mills to MOA is a real pain in the ***, do mil dot reticles come with mil turrets? is there such a thing?
I like my mil dot, and depending on what you are planning on doing with it find it a touch faster. For instance, if you are deer hunting, and you know your calibers ballistics at the ranges you plan on ataking adeer, rather than having to start clicking on your scope you can jsut put the rt dot where you want and pull the trigger....

1 mil is 3.6 inch per hundred yds.. With that being said, with my 243 sighted in for a 200 yard zero if a deer is at 400 yards I simply go 1.28 MOA and bang, the bullet will land exactly where I wanted, which would be 19.37 inches low of my 200 yard zero...

Jerry,
I prefer MOA reticles since most optics use either MOA or IPHY turrets.
My favorite reticle is Hollands's ART (Advanced Reticle Technology) Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply
Holland's makes both MOA and MIL reticles, but I have the MOA reticle. Since it is an etched glass reticle having the MOA listed on the left side really helps avoid confusion. Also the you have a line every 1.5 MOA which gives you the ability to be accurate.
There are a number of other really good reticles out there, but this is my hands down favorite

Jerry,
I would highly recommend you look at a Huskemaw scope. This is the scope I started with. Very user friendly system. Develop a load, get a turret made for it with the yardage on it, and hit the ground running. You can learn the software, weather meters, PDA's , dial up, and all the other stuff as you go along.

Yea, thanks guys - I've been looking over things for the morning. I've decided that I'm going to use the same system.

If I use MOA turrets I'm going to use a MOA reticle to match. - If I use a mil dot reticle, I'd prefer to use mil turrets if they exist. - I don't see the point in interchanging the two. Seems like MOA is the most popular system and it makes the most sense to me. So yea, I've decided moa turrets with a moa reticle.

I'm going to make a ballistic card with my loads in my normal hunting/shooting conditions - I'll be shooting a few loads so tactical 1/4 moa turrets offer the best versatility - especially if I switch the scope from gun to gun at some point. I guess I could have multiple BDC dials made too which I guess would be the nicest for dialing in range as I wouldnt have to look back and forth to see how much MOA corresponds with my range, however I'm sure these numbers will be... memorized quite quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.