Scope purchase tutorial

Snake Plysken1

Hey, all. Sort of my first post. Been a long time reader of LRH, and thought I'd wait to post as my knowledge grew.
About 4 years ago, I purchased my dream rifle, the Savage 110BA in the 338LM. It has sat in the box, wrapped, and untouched this whole time. Over the years, I have acquired all components, tools, etc. to reload this cartridge. I only bought the best for brass, and with tools, I bought the best. I've been a longtime hand loader, and knew what to target for in tools for Concentricity, headspace, etc., etc.
Told myself years ago, the day I could afford the 110 BA, that I would only pair it with high dollar glass. All my life I've been a Bushnell guy, as that was all I could afford. So in 4 years, I've been saving for top tier glass and mounts.
So, it seems that NF scopes are the top tier, going by forums, YouTube vids, catalogs and such, but recently I've learned about the Vortex PST with the MRAD.
I am open to suggestions, and along with your suggestions, I have questions, along with parameters:
1. Purpose will be to eventually be proficient at long range target
2. $2K Max budget. If it means getting something even better for a couple hundred more, I am flexible. But, I also believe in value, and realize price tag doesn't necessarily mean the best(sometimes)
3. Only want to invest in top tier scope for the 110BA once. Not into upgrading and trying to sell off my initial investment
4. MOA? MIL? MOAR? MRAD? For myself being accustomed to BDC type reticles, which would be a good, easily mastered type of reticle? I like simple, but I have no problem schooling myself on reticle use. I realize these top tier scopes have adjustable turrets, and I consider learning to use and master them as part of the fun of long range shooting. If it helps answer my question, this 110BA is target only, no hunting
I'm going to stop there with the questions. Hopefully this topic hasn't been burned out, and there are still others out there that could benefit from the suggestions given back on my inquiries. If there are links to reticle comparison tutorials out there, I would be interested in seeing those. Thanks a bunch

Being able to dial for elevation and windage adjustments is better than a BDC reticle over the long run. Nightforce has an excellent reputation for turrets that do what they're suppose to do. Regardless of what scope you end up buying, you will need to prove to yourself that the turrets are moving the crosshair in proper amounts.

Here's a video that describes doing a tall target test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Wf0Cuwwi8

A month or two ago Mile High Shooting Accessories had the previous generation ATACR for $2K. That's an excellent 5-25x scope.

If you want to give a less expensive scope a try, take a look at the vortex PST in 6-24x or the Burris XTR-II in 5-25x. Those run about $1K

Being able to dial for elevation and windage adjustments is better than a BDC reticle over the long run. Nightforce has an excellent reputation for turrets that do what they're suppose to do. Regardless of what scope you end up buying, you will need to prove to yourself that the turrets are moving the crosshair in proper amounts.

Here's a video that describes doing a tall target test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Wf0Cuwwi8

A month or two ago Mile High Shooting Accessories had the previous generation ATACR for $2K. That's an excellent 5-25x scope.

If you want to give a less expensive scope a try, take a look at the vortex PST in 6-24x or the Burris XTR-II in 5-25x. Those run about $1K
So, thnx for some recommendations. Does the Burris come with a zero stop? I know the Vortex does. I see references to the ATACR scope...who is that? What does ATACR stand for? How about a zero to 10 rating on scopes? I guess 10 would be a NF?

For the money I think my Steiner T5Xi is a great scope .If you are looking for more info on High end scopes did you check out the review precisionrifleblog did ? I found it to be very helpful.

Well, between my inquiry and another that came about the same time I posted, the post called "Scope Advice" I've done enough research to settle on the Vortex PST EBR-2 in a MOA reticle, FFP. I want to thank all that gave suggestions in both threads.
Now, hopefully this is an easy question to answer. For the sake of time savings, and being able to shop and get everything needed to optically outfit my 110 BA, I am needing help on the heights of the mounting rings. I love the DNZ freedom reaper one piece mounts, and want to stick with that. Problem is, I'm not sure if I need a , low, medium, or high in those mounts for the clearance of the 50mm Objective on the Vortex to clear the 110BA rails. I do plan on flip up covers. Normally I would order the scope, pull measurements while having it somewhat rigged on top of the rifle to get an idea, then order up the mounts. But, like I said, I want to one stop shop with where I'm getting the scope and mounts, and would like to save time and shipping costs by purchasing both together. So, as far as heights needed, for the mounts, what do you all suggest?

I've got the Nightforce ATACR on my 110BA .338LM. It is the best optic I've put my hands on. Plenty of magnification, and is beefy enough to withstand the recoil. I'll look at the mount when I get home from work tonight.

Just go buy you a NXS 5.5-22 and call it a love story. You will never regret it.

I agree. The only thing about those scopes that I don't like is the ocular lens spinning with the magnification ring. That makes butler creek type scope covers all but useless on them. The sure are a joy to shoot with though.

So, has anyone used a DNZ one piece mount on their 110 BA? I have searched all the vendors who carry the Freedom Reapers in the 30mm. 1.34" is the mount height to center of these DNZ mounts. I've used that scope calculator to see if the Vortex PST with a 50 mm objective would clear. The calculator says "Pass", but not sure if 1.34" is too high a mount. So I'm at a stopping point for purchasing my optics set up.
Again, as mentioned earlier, I would like to stick with DNZ mounts, and favoring the one piece mount system. If the general consensus tells me 1.34" is too high, I will go with the two piece mounts in a medium height then. If anyone can advise me on this, that would be helpful, so I can make the purchase.
Tried calling DNZ, couldn't get my concept across to the tech. Could be my bad hearing, also, LOL!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.