Scope mystery alignment

merbeau

I recently picked up a near mint 36x B&L to place on my modified Rem 700 customized to 25-284 for 600 yard shooting. I came home centered the cross hairs using the counting method and mounted the scope with Warne picatinny one piece base and Warne rings. Leveled my shooting rest on my table which was also level and placed the rifle in my shooting rest. Made sure the rifle was level and bore sighted barrel to distant target (telephone pole). Mounted scope and leveled it. Cross hairs were way to the right. After adjusting windage ran out of adjustment. Called Warne and they said Rem are known for having their mounting holes misaligned to the bore.

I have a floor laser that I used for measuring room dimensions. Took it and set behind rifle and ran laser down mounting holes. The laser line was down the center of the rifle's barrel.

Took a feeler gauge and found one that would just shim under bell housing of scope. Over the course of a 90 degree turn there was no gap suggesting the scope is not bent. There are no ring marks or dents on the scope.

Next I tried to reverse the rings and same problem.

Finally, placed another scope on the mounts and they were within a few clicks of the bore sight.

Could the actual scope reticle be non centered? That is, canted left or right.

Any thoughts?

I've never had an occasion to use it but here is a method someone posted somewhere to mechanically center a scope; something I'd definitely do if I bought one used.

Maybe try it before sending it back.

"Stand the scope vertical, large objective down on a small mirror (makeup type mirror works great). You'll see 2 reticles...the actual reticle and a reflection. Adjust your windage and elevation and you will see the reflected reticle move. Adjust both directions until the reflection is directly over the top of the stationary reticle. You'll be adjusting opposite direction of the movement of the reticle to the mirror."

That's why I like Leupold bases.....center crosshairs(to actual center)..then place in bases...adjust to correct by base adjustments..then use turrets....
InJeanous.....

That's why I like Leupold bases.....center crosshairs(to actual center)..then place in bases...adjust to correct by base adjustments..then use turrets....
InJeanous.....

^ this has worked for a couple rifles with verified misaligned scope mount holes. Since you seem confident your holes are plumb, perhaps the scope needs to go to the mfg if their CS is reputable. Good luck

I first tried this initially with a smaller 3x-9 scope to experiment. At 3x the two lines are very distinctive. As the power goes up the lines become less distinctive. Ended up using my son's better eyes. According to him there were definitely two distinct images and lines with biggest difference on the windage turret. The windage reflected line was actually to the right which is exactly I was observing through the scope when trying to bore sight. Placed it on the base and much better. I may end up purchasing a set of Burris Zee rings to adjust further. As an aside I called Bushnell who now manages the older B&L lines and according the tech guy if the serial number on the scope starts with an S through Z the scope has a lifetime warranty. From A to S there is only a 10 year. This scope's serial starts with a Z. More than likely they will replace it with a new Bushnell which is not the route I want to pursue. Many thanks to all the replied.

. As an aside I called Bushnell who now manages the older B&L lines and according the tech guy if the serial number on the scope starts with an S through Z the scope has a lifetime warranty. From A to S there is only a 10 year. This scope's serial starts with a Z. More than likely they will replace it with a new Bushnell which is not the route I want to pursue. Many thanks to all the replied.
I loved my old B&L 36, but sent it to Bushnell a few years ago for repair. As you thought, all they could do was replace it. But, not having any fixed 36X with 1/8 clicks, I had to settle for what was their top end scope at the time. A good deal; just not what I needed or wanted. Wound up wasting a several hundred bucks trying to find the cheap solution. My real solution was a new Weaver 46X, which has given me NO ISSUES over two plus seasons of shooting. So good, I bought a second one.

One of my 40X rear mounting screw holes is so far off of the centerline bore axis that I went to a picatinny rail and only mounted it with three screws. As the scope maxed out in wiindage adjustment, I had to use Zee Signature Rings with +/- 10 MOA inserts turned 90 degrees to get the scope centered.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.