Scope is Out of travel @25 yards

dflyfish

I can't seem to find any info on this. I have never experienced this exact situation so here it goes.

mounted a scope using a Mount with 20.6 base on a rifle with a built in 20 MOA base.

Via a bore sight @ 25 yards I'm about 2" low and have no more travel in the turret.

I was hoping to get a 200 zero. Not sure if that is possible. Plan on shooting it next week to find out for sure. I'm also ok with a 300 zero as this rifle is just to shoot steel.

is there any calculator to check this.

I don't really understand what you are asking. 2" low bore sight at 25 yards is usually right in the vicinity of a 100 yard actual zero.

If you have 40 moa in your mount, and you scope is bottomed out, then all your adjustment should be up from there.

I won't ask why you are stacking your cant, I assume you have reasons.

Regardless, you need to shoot it first to see where you are at.

Last edited:
I can't seem to find any info on this. I have never experienced this exact situation so here it goes.

mounted a scope using a Mount with 20.6 base on a rifle with a built in 20 MOA base.

Via a bore sight @ 25 yards I'm about 2" low and have no more travel in the turret.

I was hoping to get a 200 zero. Not sure if that is possible. Plan on shooting it next week to find out for sure. I'm also ok with a 300 zero as this rifle is just to shoot steel.

flip the mount backwards and you'll 0 out the moa between the rail and rings for a quick fix. If your scope doesn't have enough travel with that much built in moa I would reconsider you're gear selection. And zero range maybe in general depending what you're trying to do.

Last edited:
I don't really understand what you are asking. 2" low bore sight at 25 yards is usually right in the vicinity of a 100 yard actual zero.

If you have 40 moa in your mount, and you scope is bottomed out, then all your adjustment should be up from there.

I won't ask why you are stacking your cant, I assume you have reasons.

Regardless, you need to shoot it first to see where you are at.

Agreed!

When you mention via a "bore sight" are you talking a visual bore sight through the barrel or though one of the laser devices. Some of the laser style are not the best thing since sliced bread. A true visual sight through a trained set of good eyes is always a safe way to double check the laser device.
About a year ago I installed a barrel with indexed curvature up at 12:00. With a Bushnell elite with only 34 moa total adjustment I could not get zero at 100 with standard zero rail. Finally put a Vortex with 50+ moa to cure it. So your total 40 in mounts with the barrel "index up" could definitely be too much.
You might not know until you shoot it.

Thanks for all the reply's. I actually found an excel calculator that answered my Original question.

as far as a fix. It's a Revic 428 and only has 85 total travel. I just put a 10.3 MOA spur base I had instead and have a perfect 200 yard zero and only used 2 MOA of the 85 to get there.

Thanks for all the reply's. I actually found an excel calculator that answered my Original question.

as far as a fix. It's a Revic 428 and only has 85 total travel. I just put a 10.3 MOA spur base I had instead and have a perfect 200 yard zero and only used 2 MOA of the 85 to get there.[/QU

Seems you have a lot of elevation built into your mount. Try looking through the bore with gun held steady. if your target shows in the middle of the bore and your crosshairs are low you need to screw your dial down not up. Smms screwy but when bore sighting you need to adjust the scope backwards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.