Scope help.........

bryguy

New guy here, been hunting for years. I am getting ready to put a long range hunting rig together. Always just shot plain jane off the shelf regular rifles. Am looking at a 700 snedero in 7mm Rem mag and 160 pills. Looking at scopes and am a bit overwhelmed. My main focus will be hunting, so need a good scope for that. budget is between 1K and 1.5K. Looked at the Zeiss duralyts, Tijicons, and Leupolds. I have several conquests and like them, and I also have Leupolds and Nikons. Have read tons of stuff, but really am kind of lost now...I want a quality scope, but have no idea where to start.

Your rifle and caliber will enable 1000 yard hunting capability. Base capability for a scope that balances well with your choice of rifle/caliber would be:
5x20 power range
Side parallax adjustment
Turrets/ 30mm tube for sufficient elevation range
A crosshair that includes a MOA horizontal graduations for windage holds, vertical graduations will be determined by whether you want to use reticule holds with a calibrated reticle.

Some decision points will be:
Use of turrets or Reticle holds for elevation adjustment at distance.
If turrets, choice of MOA or yardage,

Your budget is suffucient to get a solid scope. Don't think you could go wrong with a Nightforce NXS, Leupold MK4, or Huskemaw, just to name a few. I have used all three with good success. It is at the high end or may cost a little more than your budget, but the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 with an MOA reticle is probably the standard by which most scopes are judged for LRH.

Main purpose will be eastern nc deer, with black bear on occasion. I prefer spinning turrets to holdover recticles. I have the leupold B&C and the Nilon BDC and they seem to busy. One of the conquest I have has a mil dot, and I like that reticle. Ranges will be inside 700 yds. We shoot out to 500 now on our range and I think we can stretch it to over 1k. As to MOA vs inch, whatever is easiest to use.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.