Scope choice help for new rifle

Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster looking for some scope help. I'm a noob and I've been reading for several days. There are just so many choices :(

Recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 in 300 win mag and looking for some nice glass for it in the < $1000 range (not retail, but actual purchase price).

Use: hunting anything from white tail deer to elk and big horn. Ranges from 125yds to 500yds.
I know the caliber will go further, but I'm not confident in my ability beyond that distance quite yet.

Most important features in a scope for me are:
- Quality glass, good warranty, proven brand/product
- Reliable and repeatable external turret adjustment and tracking w/zero stop
- Durable - i.e. shock proof, water proof, and fog proof
- FFP reticle
- 50mm+ objective
- 30mm+ tube
- Min magnification in the 3 - 5 range
- Max magnification of 14 (don't really need anything more than this IMO?)
- Less than $1k out the door

Doesn't really matter if its MRAD or MOA - as long as the turret and reticle are in the same unit of measurement
Don't need illuminated reticle or anything like that

The scopes I'm currently considering after my initial research:
- Athlon Optics Ares BTR Gen II 2.5-15x50mm
- Meopta MeoPro Optika 3-18x50mm
- Meopta MeoPro Optika6 3-18x56mm (do I need a 56mm tho?)
- Nikon BLACK FX1000 4-16x50
- Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 (min magnification is kinda high)
- Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50mm (min magnification high here too)
- Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm

Not gonna lie, the cheaper ones in my list above appeal to my wallet, but I don't want to cheap out on glass and regret it.

Any opinions on the above lineup? Any others I should consider?
Thanks for any and all help!
Most of the scopes you're considering have far too much magnification and too much weight. The higher magnification reduces your field of view. This doesn't matter when shooting from a bench. In the field, trying to find an animal using a high magnification is problematic. Some of the scopes on your list weigh 27 oz. Your chosen rifle is at the top end of the weight range of anything you'll want to carry on an elk hunt. The last thing you'll want is another 10+oz of unnecessary weight.

The logical choice, for hunting purposes, in your list of scopes is the Leupold 4.5-14. The company has a stellar reputation for quality and customer service. I've returned items to Leupold for warranty claims, with my apologies, which have been beaten to hell. They have always been repaired or replaced without objection.

Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster looking for some scope help. I'm a noob and I've been reading for several days. There are just so many choices :(

Recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 in 300 win mag and looking for some nice glass for it in the < $1000 range (not retail, but actual purchase price).

Use: hunting anything from white tail deer to elk and big horn. Ranges from 125yds to 500yds.
I know the caliber will go further, but I'm not confident in my ability beyond that distance quite yet.

- FFP reticle
- 50mm+ objective
- 30mm+ tube

Doesn't really matter if its MRAD or MOA - as long as the turret and reticle are in the same unit of measurement

Not gonna lie, the cheaper ones in my list above appeal to my wallet, but I don't want to cheap out on glass and regret it.

You might look at one of the forums for quality glass as you will regret cheap ! Leopold makes great glass and I shoot zeiss for everything from squirrels to moose ! The conquest is well worth the money !

I have the Athlon BTR 2.5-15. It's very good in all aspects EXCEPT the reticle. It's ginormous at full magnification, and the + covers nearly a quarter MOA.

For the money, I'd choose Meopta. Less than $1,000 and you will have $$ left over for rings etc. ZEISS makes Meopta. Optika 6 would be my choice. I currently own 4 Meopta scopes and not one complaint. .270, .308, .30-06 and .300 Win Mag
Best of luck and good hunting to you.

For the money, I'd choose Meopta. Less than $1,000 and you will have $$ left over for rings etc. ZEISS makes Meopta. Optika 6 would be my choice. I currently own 4 Meopta scopes and not one complaint. .270, .308, .30-06 and .300 Win Mag
Best of luck and good hunting to you.
Zeiss never made Meopta. Meopta used to make the Zeiss Conquest line.Zeiss doesn't make ANY scopes anymore.

Zeiss never made Meopta. Meopta used to make the Zeiss Conquest line.Zeiss doesn't make ANY scopes anymore.

Genuinely curious who is making their higher end scopes? The V4 is made in Japan, but the V6 is made in Germany.

- FFP reticle
- 50mm+ objective
- 30mm+ tube

[/QUOTE
It's a shame - I replaced several nightforce nxs scopes (as did buddies) with the FX-1000 Black scopes and have been really pleased. Same optical quality, way better eyebox, same tracking, great reticle, 1/3 the price. The 4-16x50 is one of my favorite hunting scopes and you can pick them up now for 1/2 of what they used to sell for. Deal of the century.

I looked up this quote for you. I was very surprised when I read it. I thought it might apply to your current scope decision. I'm not sure what the deal is with Nikon warranty. I'm not sure if you're even going to continue making scopes. You should definitely check on The current state of affairs with Nikon. before buying. I just wanted you to have the information.
-Johnny

]

Check out blackhoundoptics.com for an awesome scope at an unbelievably low price. Lifetime transferable warranty, sun shade, flip up caps, 30mm rings and more. 41 years manufacturing scopes for other distributors that put their name on them. Clear and bright through the zoom range edge to edge. Use code 6235097 for a 5% discount and free shipping. You won't regret it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.