Scope choice help please.

Parkerb14

I have been talking to Kirby, and am planning on having a 7mm AM built by him. I have narrowed it down to two scope choices. Nightforce or a Leupole Mark 4. I have a few questions about each. First off for the Nightforce. This is a probablly a stupid question, but are all Nightforce scopes FFP? I am looking at either the 3.5-15x50 or 5.5-22x50. I would like to shoot beyond 1500 yds at rocks, rabbits, pdogs...etc and within that at game animals such as deer and elk. I do not go out looking for games animals to shoot this far, but I do for pdogs and such. Which scope choice would be the best choice for my application, and which reticle would you choose.
Now for the Leupold, 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 same questions as above.
Next if you were to choose a scope with one would it be?

Thanks for all the help,
Parker

i dont think all NF are ffp
i have a m4 6.5-20 milldot and my dad has a NF 5.5-22 np-r2
i like the NF better reticle is a little thiner turrets are nicer and better power range better built scope in my opinion
NF has better costomer service if you ever have a problem
i am planning on selling my leupold and getting a NF

I have a 7mm AM built by Kirby and we put a 5.5-22x56 NF on it and I wouldn't trade the scope for anything. Some people say the top of the line Leupolds look as good to them as the NF but to me the NF is far better. Just personal preference.

NF has been typically SFP but they either have or will have, FFP models out soon. Seems like I heard around June for the FFP models.

Again, my preference for long range, precision, small type targets is the SFP.

I do have the NP-R2 reticle but will be sending it back soon to have it changed to the NP-R1

ss7mm, why are you sending it back for the NP-R1? I was looking at the NP-R2, what issues do you have with it that you dont prefer it?

No issues with it really. It's just that I feel that the 1" hash increments would be better than the 2" in the NP-R2.

The R2 is calibrated for use at 22 power. With the R1 I could have the 1" increments at 22 power and the 2" R2 type increments at 11 power. Just something more to play with although I dial for all big game shots I use the reticle when playing with rocks or spotting my own shots.

I own and prefer the 50mm objective, unless you are shooting at night with out lights I feel that the 50mm NXS is perfect. I own and also prefer the NPR-2 Reticle as I find it more user friendly

Here are both for comparison

NPR-1
NP-R1-22x-1.gif

NPR-2
NPR-255X22-1.gif

Is there really any difference in light transmission between the 50mm and 56mm, I am going to order the scope this weekend.
\

The 56 lets in 25% more light. It also has a bit more eye relief, bigger exit puple, but obviously it sits 3mm higher... that's less than 1/8 of an inch. It's not that much higher.

Well, thanks for all the help. Called the place I purchase guns from today told them to order me one, but they recently became a Nightforce dealer. They also had the 5.5-22X50 with NP-R1 in so I had them hold it for me and im going to get it saturday :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.