Scope buyers remorse... ?

7Rum Slayer

Fact is I just bought an Arken EPL 4 4-16x44 MOA, I find FFP reticles hard to see in low light at low power. I am very hesitant about how thin the reticle is on lower power like 4 or even 8. What are your thought on this scope and most importantly what are your thoughts on the reticle? This will be for my Son's backup hunting/target rifle. Thank you in advance, Cheers, Jason

Fact is I just bought an Arken EPL 4 4-16x44 MOA, I find FFP reticles hard to see in low light at low power. I am very hesitant about how thin the reticle is on lower power like 4 or even 8. What are your thought on this scope and most importantly what are your thoughts on the reticle? This will be for my Son's backup hunting/target rifle. Thank you in advance, Cheers, Jason
I bought mine specifically for targets. Not hunting. I don't generally shoot that far when hunting. So not really needed. I also have a Primary Arms and I feel the same way as you, on that one. How does your son like it ? And it is a backup rifle as you said. If a hunting rifle I would go Leopold or similar. Maybe a second hand scope if looking for a cheaper option. I see a lot of different used scopes for sale on this forum that may be a better option for you ? If you're not happy with the Arken. Just a thought.

Last edited:
It is illuminated isn't it ? I think only the center part lights up which is good as it doesn't wash out the target in low light. I tried one on a buddy's rifle and it seemed like a pretty decent optic for the money but a bit heavy. For a dark background in low light I would prefer a thicker 2nd focal plane reticle. Try it and see if you like it.

The reticle is pretty thin on low power, and hard to see in lower light (even heavily wooded areas midday). The reticle doesn't exactly pop out and get your attention until the power gets up a bit. The illumination is pretty weak and doesn't help until the light gets lower. That and the weight are what could turn people off for a hunting scope.
Now saying that, I compared one against a Leupold 4.5-14 MK4 (SFP) a couple years back. If I didn't know the price difference or history of the two I would have chosen the Arken over the MK4.
In my experience with one, for a scope in this price range it's a best buy.

Well I was saving for a Zeiss V4 for this rifle but my budget went south. I figured for the price and the fact that Arken had them in stock I would try one. Just ordered tonight so not sure how long before we receive. I favor SFP but thought maybe at this price point we could try one and see. I have two MK4 LRT SFP scopes on long range rifles so I am encouraged to hear the Arken is comparable. Thanks, Jason

It is illuminated isn't it ? I think only the center part lights up which is good as it doesn't wash out the target in low light. I tried one on a buddy's rifle and it seemed like a pretty decent optic for the money but a bit heavy. For a dark background in low light I would prefer a thicker 2nd focal plane reticle. Try it and see if you like it.
Yes, Sir!
https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/epl4-4-16x44-ffp-moa-vhr

I just got one delivered 2 days ago. Has not been mounted yet, but I have played with it in various lighting conditions. At 4x, the illumination becomes like a red dot. Setting 6 during the day and setting 1 at extremely low light seems to work perfectly well for hunting at 4x type ranges.

I'd agree it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I mounted 2 of them in the last few months for buddies on 7mm 08 and 30-06 and they both love them. Truly a one off individual preference, but after waiting out the order lead times they are more than pleased with them. Thier GA property gives shots from 100-500 so really a nice blend of what they wanted in the EPL

I've gone to all FFP. If I'm using the scope on lower power I'm shooting at something close enough not to need to see the center dot…. I can still see the center intersection just fine.

I'm trying to figure out how the illuminated feature doesn't solve the stated problem for ya?

I just bought the same Arkin, mounted it, and traded it off before ever firing a shot.
Got a good offer on a much upgraded trade from a buddy of mine who needed an Arken for a review. Never did see anything wrong with the Arken.

Reviews say that they don't hold/return to zero and fail to track after being breathed upon heavily much less dropped. Go check RokSlide for details IIRC.
On the other hand we used and abused one on a 4 day, long range, rifle class a while back and that particular Arken worked well enough that 2 out of 6 students bought one (me being one of them).

My impression of the optic after using it off and on a fair bit for several days of intensive shooting is that it should make a rather nice value priced optic for a non-hard use rifle.
YMMV.
Also keep in mind that I'm something of an idiot when left unsupervised

I like ffp over sfp. but they do need illumination in low light at low magnification.