Scope advise please

MJU

I will soon be purchasing a Browning 26 Nosler rifle and would like to set it up to shoot up to 800 yards for hunting. I know it will take a ton of practice but I also want to set it up for it to have the ability to do so.

I will be saving up and think I will have up to $1300 for the purchase. My hopes are to be able to dial it to a yardage and shoot. Having a turret with the yardages rather than moa numbers would be great but not a deal breaker. I also like the thought of a hard stop at sight in range.

I welcome any suggestions or experiences any of you may have. All my experience now is with scopes under $500 including zeiss, bushnell and vortex. I saw definite flaws with the vortex in clarity and all the other scopes have been 3-9x40.

... 26 Nosler rifle ... 800 yards for hunting.... dial it to a yardage and shoot ... turret with the yardages rather than moa numbers ... hard stop at sight in range.
... experience ... zeiss, bushnell and vortex.
I saw definite flaws with the vortex in clarity and all the other scopes have been 3-9x40.

Nice rifle - you will like it.
IMO, 800 yards is about as much as you want to expect out of it for hunting. Personally, I'd limit it to 700 yards or under.
Yardage turrets are a love/hate relationship. Once you've set the fixed distance turret specs. you'll find yourself pretty much stuck with whatever load you used in your order for turret settings. But some hunters do like that style of scope.
You don't have Leupold on your list and I'd suggest you take a look at those.
My experience with Vortex scopes has been very good. The clarity I've seen is really quite good. Perhaps your got hold of one that was adjusted too close to the limits of its range - the view can get a bit fuzzy out on the edge of the lens, but that's true of a lot of very good scopes.

If I were in your position I'd want something above 9x

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/vx-2-6-18x40mm-adj-obj/

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3i-riflescopes/vx-3i-4-5-14x50mm/

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.