Savavge 110 BA 338 Lapua purchase ?

milkie62

I have a chance to buy a NIB Savage 110BA 338 Lapua for $1479.00.I need this like I need more bills.Is this a great deal or just an OK deal.Even if I buy it I will not beable to afford a decent scope for awhile.So I either leave it in the box or throw a cheap Tasco on it and see how many shots I can get B4 it goes south until I can scrape up some mad money.Most of my recent stash has gone to ammo,other scopes,handguns and other rifles recently.And do not even make a comment of selling a gun or two.That is against principle .LOLAnother issue will be the price of ammo_Ouch. I think I am posting in an attempt to justify it.

If I have the model correct 110 BA
19771.jpg

List price $2,322?

Yes if that is what you want. It no longer seems to be on Savage's web site.

There are other models that don't break the $1,800 mark and as low as $1,177.

If I have the model correct 110 BA
19771.jpg

List price $2,322?

Yes if that is what you want. It no longer seems to be on Savage's web site.

There are other models that don't break the $1,800 mark and as low as $1,177.

Hmm the 2016 Savage catalog has it.But I will check it out.I have seen recent full page Savage adds with "The mile club" heading showing their 338 Lapua's in different configurations and that one is still there.

Problematic cartridge INA Savage. And I am a savage but. I wouldn't.
When you say problematic what are you referring to ? This would only be a fun gun so no sense in getting it if there are issues.I am at work and am restricted as to what internet sites I can get.The Savage forum is not one of them and I do not have much time for computers at home since I do not have hi-speed internet.I guess I will have to try and do some research.Thanks

When you say problematic what are you referring to ? This would only be a fun gun so no sense in getting it if there are issues.I am at work and am restricted as to what internet sites I can get.The Savage forum is not one of them and I do not have much time for computers at home since I do not have hi-speed internet.I guess I will have to try and do some research.Thanks

Extraction issues. Too much bolt thrust. Just issues in general. Too big in diameter for the action.

I've got one that I got for the purpose of putting big holes in wild hogs. For that, it does a great job! I use S&B ammo from Cabela's in it. I've not had any issues with my 110BA. I live in South Carolina use mine mostly for shots under 100 yards at night over bait piles. It hits the hogs like a sledgehammer. I've taken mine out to 375 yards before, and had 3 shots in less than 3.5" of each other.

I would be mostly punching paper at long distance and groundhogs.It is an expensive caliber to shoot for paper but as I said at the price I can get it for I hope I could recover most of my cost if I did not like it and get something in 300 win mag that would be more economical to shoot.Well in any case I do not think the gun is going any place soon.

I've had an early release of the 110BA in 338LM for a few years. I load my own using Lapua cases, and shoot 300 SMKs. Shooting from bags on a rest at a 1000 yard target put 5 round in a 7" circle first time shooting at that range. The rifle is awesome, very accurate, and the recoil is less than my 308. I would grab that rifle at the price you quoted. I have to say I spent a whole lot more on the glass than on the rifle, but that thing can shoot!!

Never any problems with extraction, or a stiff bolt. Loading to an overall length just shy of the magazine capability, 3.712", using about 91 gr of Vihtavuori N570, and which only pushes the 300 gr SMK to about 2550 fps, with a 52,000 psi chamber pressure, but you cannot argue with the results. I think it's a 1/2 minute shooter.

Well I do not think the gun is going anyplace soon and I am looking at some higher end scopes right now but am keeping it on the back burner.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts