Savage Stealth project

6mm

My shooting will consist of targets from 100 to 1,000 yards. I want to build a rifle around the Sierra Bullets .308 155 gr. Palma.
I'm thinking of getting a Savage Stealth 110 in .300 win. mag. Immediately send it to a reputable gunsmith and have it fitted with a 1:12 custom barrel (undecided on manufacturer) and any additional work that it would require. The reason for the 110 action is the ability to seat the bullets out and still have full use of the DBM.
Please discuss any input/concerns you see with this project. I don't want to overlook anything before I purchase (around March 2017). At this point I'm pretty settled on the .308 win. shooting the 155 Palma.
All discussion appreciated.

ETA - 26" barrel length; may consider 24" minimum.

My shooting will consist of targets from 100 to 1,000 yards. I want to build a rifle around the Sierra Bullets .308 155 gr. Palma.
I'm thinking of getting a Savage Stealth 110 in .300 win. mag. Immediately send it to a reputable gunsmith and have it fitted with a 1:12 custom barrel (undecided on manufacturer) and any additional work that it would require. The reason for the 110 action is the ability to seat the bullets out and still have full use of the DBM.
Please discuss any input/concerns you see with this project. I don't want to overlook anything before I purchase (around March 2017). At this point I'm pretty settled on the .308 win. shooting the 155 Palma.

I wouldn't waste the $$$ on a Stealth AND a smith. Buy any LA action out there. Go to Mcgowen, Criterion or Shilen among others and screw on one of their barrels. Use a good recoil lug and home true the nut and face. Add MDT or other chassis and done. Less $$$ and you can set it up how you want.

That was the plan before the Stealth idea. I very well could just go back to building one. I was just curious if it seemed like a worthwhile project or not. Appreciate your response.

I bought a 110 FCP .300 WM. H.S. Precision stock. This is a 24" barrel that shoots good. I bought it to put a .300 WSM barrel on and seat the bullet long, 208 grain and heavier. If you went this way you would end up with a decent stock and the .308 is only a bolthead away.

Is there a reason you want to settle on the 155 Palma with a .300 Win Mag?

I had a 10BA in 308 winchester and had plenty of room in the mag for 190gr vld. Unless you are going to have your 308 throated for 230gr hybrids ,a short action will work for 155 palma bullets.

I was considering the 308 Winchester and exploring all options. As you can tell by my Login name I love 6mm's. I may very well build a 6mm Creedmoor. Thankfully I have plenty of time to research. My friends Savage Stealth is amazing and it got my attention.

I was considering the 308 Winchester and exploring all options. As you can tell by my Login name I love 6mm's. I may very well build a 6mm Creedmoor. Thankfully I have plenty of time to research. My friends Savage Stealth is amazing and it got my attention.

What is the cost of the Stealth? I like my Masterpiece Arms chassis. It comes with both bushings for 4.40", 4.27" Savage actions. Just saying many options for you. I shoot .243 and 6mm Competition Match in this chassis. Sorry if a little off topic.

I can't see ONE reason to build a 308 shooting Palma bullets for any kind of long range rig other than 308 is readily available. Lots of stuff is readily available, recoils less and will shoot circles around the 308 in the wind. Of course my opinion is influenced by the fact that my logbook shows a 743 yd avg shot distance, with an avg wind speed of 17 MPH.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.