Next Project: Savage 7WSM - HELP

Tarheelpwr

Hi,

I'll start off by saying I have NO experience with the 7 WSM other than playing with numbers online.

Anyways, here's what I'm after. Basically a relatively lightweight rig that can shoot deer sized game to 1k "ish" and elk sized to 500ish. The elk part is more of a bonus.

I'm looking to start with a DBM factory Savage donor rifle. I'm pretty open to either a long or short action. Really whatever makes my life easier on the build. So, my main questions are, what caliber donor to start with?

Are the WSM bolt heads the same as the mag bolt heads, or will I have to change out any bolt head I start with? (other than I assume 270/300 WSM?)

Will the 7 WSM cartridges feed out of pretty much any mag assembly, or are there specific calibers I should focus in on for the donor.

I'd also like to keep this semi-budget where I can. I'll get the action trued, top end barrel, but I'll likely go with a Boyds stock (bedded) since they have the new DBM option and a Minox 3-15x50 SA Scope.

thanks,
Chris

Hi,

I'll start off by saying I have NO experience with the 7 WSM other than playing with numbers online.

Anyways, here's what I'm after. Basically a relatively lightweight rig that can shoot deer sized game to 1k "ish" and elk sized to 500ish. The elk part is more of a bonus.

I'm looking to start with a DBM factory Savage donor rifle. I'm pretty open to either a long or short action. Really whatever makes my life easier on the build. So, my main questions are, what caliber donor to start with?

Are the WSM bolt heads the same as the mag bolt heads, or will I have to change out any bolt head I start with? (other than I assume 270/300 WSM?)

Will the 7 WSM cartridges feed out of pretty much any mag assembly, or are there specific calibers I should focus in on for the donor.

I'd also like to keep this semi-budget where I can. I'll get the action trued, top end barrel, but I'll likely go with a Boyds stock (bedded) since they have the new DBM option and a Minox 3-15x50 SA Scope.

thanks,
Chris

I've got a 300WSM that started as a 7RM. The bolt head worked just fine for me and I have plenty of room in the mag to seat anything I want way out there. It will feed from the blind mag (hardly ever do) but pretty sure I could only get two in there. You've got some decent choices for stocks these day pretty much no matter what you start with. I just wanted to start with the 110 in case I needed the extra space in the mag. I'm sure you have a good shot at getting a good rifle turned out. I have no issues getting some very good groups even out to 1300 yards. It is almost out of gas there shooting a 178 AMAX but it works.

I built a 300wsm for my dad thar started life as a blind mag 110 in the 7rem mag as well. It only holds 2 down but all I had to do was screw on the new barrel and put it in the new stock. Headspacing is so nice and easy with the savage. He hasnt had any feed issues and the thing shoots great.

For what you described look for a 7mm or 300 Win Mag as a donor. Basically, you are looking for a LA chambered in a magnum cartridge (could include 338 Win, etc.). You'll have the right bolt head, it will be small shank barrel/action (more common than the large shank stuff), and the mag box should feed just fine and offer the ability to seat bullets way out compared to a SA.

Also, there is a wealth of Savage related info on savageshooters.com

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.