Savage SA 7wsm w/180 bergers?

emmagator

I just purchased a savage m14 classic in 270wsm. I was wanting to rebarrel to 7wsm and run 180 bergers. These bullets are gonna need to be run long, probably +3"coal from the data I've been seeing. I know the savage factory mag is around 2.9xxx". So i would need to run a different system there. How long of a coal will the short action bolt throw pick up and feed?

Can it be done?

I shoot a semi-custom 7wsm built on a Weatherby Vanguard short action. When I started load development with the 180's I loaded them to mag length which is about 2.890". I was nervous about doing it but I have had excellent results. My rifle shoots under MOA to past 1000. Best group is 5/8" at 200 yds. I would try to load them to your mag length and see what happens.

I shoot a semi-custom 7wsm built on a Weatherby Vanguard short action. When I started load development with the 180's I loaded them to mag length which is about 2.890". I was nervous about doing it but I have had excellent results. My rifle shoots under MOA to past 1000. Best group is 5/8" at 200 yds. I would try to load them to your mag length and see what happens.
Yea i will. Im just hesitant to shove all that bullet down it the case. We'll see. By the way what twist you running?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.