Savage Rifle Questions

shedhunt

Okay, I posted a thread yesterday regarding Savage 111 model rifles. I have received one post back about that model.

So, what I am interested in is, what models do all of you out there feel are the best for a simple good everyday hunting rifle. I have never owned or shot a Savage, so I can't compare it to one of my own.

I am looking to purchase a rifle as a gift and have been looking at the Savage brand, but am hesitant to purchase one with out more information than I can get off of ready descriptions from Savage web page, etc..

Please, feel free to let me know what models you have and what you like or dislike about it.

Thanks.....

I have 5 Savages and think they are great. Plus they are easy to work on yourself, if so inclined They tend to have good quality control and are rated one of he best out of the box rifles accuracy for these days, especially for the price.

They have some stuff you cannot find for the price on other rifles like a full length aluminum bedding block (Accustock). The accutrigger is one of the better factory triggers also. Can be adjusted for safe, light, crisp pull.

I like the 16/116 FCSS due to the stainless steel. It is also one of their more attractive rifles. Very nice. Would make a wonderful general hunter.

Barrelnut,

Thank you for the information and response to my question that I posed on the thread. I will definitely look into that model of the Savage.

Shedhunt, I posted a reply in your other thread but if you are planning to gift a rifle I would take a good hard look at the Ruger American rifle. I have messed with several of them and own one with never a hiccup from any of them and think they are the best value going right now.

I own a savage 10fp (.308), 111 (,270), 93r (.17HMR), and mkII (.22lr). All are absolute shooters! Not sure what calibur you're after, but the Model 11 Hunter series comes with a Nikon BDC scope and they are very accurate for factory rifles.

My 10FP and 111 are both bedded with quality optics and mounting systems. I have less than $1,000 in each rifle and both shoot sub-MOA.

I would suggest a model 11 in 7mm-08 or a 111 in either .25-06 or .270. Both are very versile rounds.

I do not buy any other brand of rifles because Savage makes the best quality for the money. Period.

Gunpoor and Megastink,

Thank you both for feed back. I have been looking into the Savage 111 in either 7mm or 300 win. What I have found is that Ruger American doesn't provide these calibers in that model, I would have to go to the M77, which is a great gun. I have an older one that shoots lights out every time.

Thank you again..

My pleasure. Keep in mind that I am an absolute stickler for accuracy. If my rifle shoots over 1MOA, even at 50 yards, I'm disappointed. I would take a hard look at a 111. Personally, I would spend a little more money and get that rifle bedded.

Its not a necessity if you hunt short to moderate range, but it helps (costs me $100 at my local smith). I feel that every rifle, no matter the brand, should be bedded.

Enjoy that rifle! Itll treat you well!

So I stopped today at one of our local sporting good stores and spoke to a rep there who owns many Savages and has grown up shooting them and owning them. Between everyone's feed back and his information it has been very helpful.

I will have to say though, the 16/116 model is a very nice rifle, wow, really felt like it is put together well.

So, I guess one other question that I have seen others posting in the parts section of classifieds is the barrels and individuals asking if it is a small shank or a long shank. Can any of you inform as to the differences?

Thanks again....

I have no idea, actually. I don't concern myself with that because I use the factory barrels. If you plan on replacing the barrel then do your research. Otherwise, if you're going to shoot the factory barrel, YE need not worry.

Most if not all of the savage target actions are large shank. Some models that came in the wsm chamberings were large shank. You would not need to concern with this unless you want to change/replace the barrel. If I get all my builds finished, it will put me up to 7 or 8 savages.

Model 16 / 116 savage is my recommendation . The large shank is in the wsm chamberings while most others are the standard shank. I wouldn't worry too much about the shank size unless you plan on rebarreling to a really large case diameter magnum like the WSM or 338 Norma ect.

I bought a 116 as my first bolt gun it's an older flat back and at the time it seemed hard to find left handed guns and I found one cheap at a gun show. Ten years later I decided I wanted to get more into bolt guns and the Savage has been the perfect platform for my OCD attention to detail and limited budget. I'm now on my third Savage and I can throw up cloverleaf a with the best of them. If your right handed there are a ton of stick options but for me I went with Stockade stocks I have three of them and they are great . Barrels are everywhere and once you learn how to spin one on your self you'll be hooked.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.