Savage Model 11 Hunter XP Rifle Package

bearrug

Savage Model 11 Hunter XP Rifle Package in7mm rem mag I was thinking about getting one, does anybody have one just wondering if you like or dislike it, thanks

I've been wanting one, but I will be getting the 11 Trophy Hunter XP because it comes with the Accu-Trigger (the Hunter XP does not).

I am seeing the Hunter XP going for under $400.00, and the Trophy hunter XP for less than $500. The Trophy comes with a Nikon BDC scope, which I think makes it well worth the extra money over the regular Hunter XP.

I have it in .308, I upgraded the trigger, bought a better scope and am getting a new stock for it, but that's mainly because I like working on guns. The factory trigger is pretty bad, but otherwise, it's a pretty good gun, especially for the price. With the new trigger, I have gotten groups in the .50.75MOA range, during my hand load development. All in all, for the price it is a very good gun, and the ase of modifying it means that down the line you can make the gun what ever you want it to be.

Thanks for the replies, yeah i figured if i got one the first thing i would do is replace the scope ,wasnt aware about the trigger tho.

it's a gun meant to be modded, really. I figure since it's a Savage, it's meant to be changed, and that's what I was thinking when I bought mine. Eventually i'll make it into a true switch barrel with the current .308 configuration, and also a 300wsm, 7mmwsm or 270wsm barrel and bolt. Haven't decided on that yet though. That way I can have my softer shooting and cheaper .308 for MN deer and fun, and a bigger gun for elk and such.

If you have any more questions about the rifle, just ask, I'm no expert, but tinkering with my rifle, I've learned a lot

For my first rifle purchase I bought the 11/111 Hunter XP at Big 5 for $400, which came with the Bushnell 3-9 X 40mm scope.

I've never shot long range in my life and thought this would be a good starter rifle for the money I was willing to spend.

Bone stock, I sighted the rifle at 100yrds last weekend and was grouping within 3 inches on a 90+ degree windy day.

I was using Remington 180gr bullets.

My first purchase will be getting better glass. I feel that having mil-dot will help in making quick adjustments to different targets much faster and easier.

I don't hunt yet, so I'm only doing stationary targets at different lengths and elevations.

So far I'm very please with my purchase and look forward to learning more and becoming more accurate.

Needless to say, I have a long way to go to match the capabilities of this rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.