Savage 10/11 Feeding

James DeTorre

I have a semi custom Savage 10/11 in 280ai that shoots better than rifles I own three times the price, however, it doesn't feed well. Actually the problem seems to be the top feeding ,single stack magazine.it is very hard to load . Top safety model. Is there a modification for this ? I will gladly get new stock etc .

Is it the 4 round flush fit mag? Also what's it not doing like picking up the first round, mag not seating fully, etc.

Flush single stack top feed mag.2nd and third rounds don't want to stack up w/o a lot of very deliberate work. This ain't going to be acceptable in a hunting sensation

If the spring and follower look good I'd try a different mag if you haven't. Most expensive fix obviously is new bottom metal and mag. If it's a good shooter $200 would probably be worth it. All my Savage mag issues were with the SA 10 round mag. As soon as I could find the new AICS takeoff bottom metal I replaced both of mine. Good luck.

Do you have a Gunsmith that is in the area? I would have one take a look and see if its a fix they can do. Maybe a spring tweak/change or mod perhaps. On blind mag's its almost always the spring tension and may take trying a couple to get one without too much tension. If your in my state I can suggest a shop or two.

Wait a minute, the 10/11 actions are short actions and shouldn't be long enough for a 280AI to feed or chamber. You must mean a 110/111 action savage right? When you say semi custom did you chamber a short action for 280AI?

Last edited:
Yes it's 110, not a lot of Gunsmiths in my area. New stock and bottom might be my easiest fix. Thanks everybody.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.