Salt bath nitride

timmymic

Looking at picking up a rifle that's has a nitride coated barrel and would like the brake I am purchasing to match. Is the nitride coating both internal and external? Is that what gives the barrel its color? Can I do it myself to the brake?

Looking at picking up a rifle that's has a nitride coated barrel and would like the brake I am purchasing to match. Is the nitride coating both internal and external? Is that what gives the barrel its color? Can I do it myself to the brake?
There are a lot of different kinds of Nitride. Assuming you are talking about The salt bath treatment usually called "Melonite", It's not a do it yourself process, but you could sent the brake off to be treated by the same folks that did the barrel and it would be a pretty close match.

Salt Bath Nitriding/Nitrocarburizing is well known under various trade names, including ARCOR®, TENIFER®, TUFFTRIDE®, MELONITE®, and QPQ®. The process is carried out at 750-1050°F, making it faster than gas nitriding.

This a very expensive process and NOT suited to be used either at home or by amateurs. It's an industrial finish done under closely supervised safety procedures.

It wouldn't hurt to call some of the suppliers of this finish but you might be surprised at the cost for just a muzzle brake. Usually these batches are very large in order to provide a scale of economy for the manufacturer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.