Nitride Coater

GoatHerder

Would like to have my bolt nitride coated. Has anyone ever had the action race itself coated? What company to use?

"Nitride coating" is done in a salt bath. The 'part' is submerged in the salt bath, so the entire 'part' is treated. The temperature is high enough that I don't believe I would have a bolt treated unless the handle had been welded. The silver braze that Rem. uses may not survive. Maybe someone who has had a Rem 700 bolt treated will chime in on this. I have barrels nitride treated but see no need to have actions or bolts treated.

I've had 700 bolt's treated, no issues. It does seem to make the bolt's slicker.

"Nitride coating" is done in a salt bath. The 'part' is submerged in the salt bath, so the entire 'part' is treated. The temperature is high enough that I don't believe I would have a bolt treated unless the handle had been welded. The silver braze that Rem. uses may not survive. Maybe someone who has had a Rem 700 bolt treated will chime in on this. I have barrels nitride treated but see no need to have actions or bolts treated.

I have not been around liquid salt heat treating in a long time (thank God), but it melts at 1460 degrees if memory is right (at least 1200 degrees). The quench is via 65 to 75 degree water that is agitated via circulation pumps. In an intricate part like a rifle bolt, I'd expect some warpage, and worse yet a serious amount of shrinkage in the part (perhaps five to eight thousandths). The shock of the quench could induce cracks in sharp corners (under .025" radius).

To the OP: nitriding and salt color bath are completely different animals. One is for case hardening, and one will color a piece of steel to a pretty blur or even a straw color. Depending on the time in the liquid salt. There are several Nitride processes out now, with plasma being the most popular. When you submerge the bolt in the salt bath, you immediately start the draw process (one of the reasons it was developed). You do not want that!

What you can do:
1. have the bolt body TIN coated (better anyway)
2. have the bolt body black chromed
3. just have it blued like the gun

most other processes require machine work
gary

H&M Black Nitride West does all mine. Complete action and bolts.
I used them for the last one I did. Perfect job and fast service for about $200. The process they use (commonly referred to as: Melonite or Tennifer) uses a bath temperature of around 900 F, does not affect the braze joints. When it comes back it is important to carefully clean and work the threads because they will have a little build up and be quite sticky. After a little use the action becomes quite slick.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts